Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 610 & fully compatible mobile phone

Options
  • 01-02-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've posted this in GPS as its more to do with the GPS compatibility that a specific mobile issue....

I have a Nuvi 610 & use the hands free side of it for my car. Problem is, I have yet to find a phone that's totally compatible with all of the functionality. Despite thise listed on the Garmin site - some just 'dont work !

To date I've tried the Sony Erricsson K800i, Motorola K1, Motorola K6 & a couple of Nokia's (cant remember the models).

Does anyone have a current phone working fully with their 610 or can they recommend one ??

ta

Andi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Andip:

I'd mentioned this in another post, but make sure you have the most update software for your Nuvi. There was one posted on 31 October 2007 for the Nuvi 6xx's and available for free on the Garmin site.

I was having all sorts of bluetooth problems with my Nuvi 670 (quite similar in core features to yours). Once I downloaded/installed the updates, it made a HUGE difference on my bluetooth connectivity (it's basically perfect now).

Give it a try, and it might help (incidentally, I'm using a Sony Ericcson T630, an older model, and it's working well with the Garmin).

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I have used several high end phones with my Nuvi 660 FM (Basically the same)

I have found the Nokia 6230i for example is 100%,SE T630 and so on.

If you have a PDA Windows Mobile Based phone you can use Jetware Plugin to add extra profiles.

I have a new TYTN II + The Jetware 1.31 plugin and I get 98% Compatibility.

I almost get all the text messages if they are over 100 characters and this is with the New 3.0 Bluetooth firmware for the Nuvi, I'd say the next one will fix the issue.

Your best bet is to goto the GPS Passions forums for more Nuvi info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

wallyworld wrote: »
    Andip:

I'd mentioned this in another post, but make sure you have the most update software for your Nuvi. There was one posted on 31 October 2007 for the Nuvi 6xx's and available for free on the Garmin site.

I was having all sorts of bluetooth problems with my Nuvi 670 (quite similar in core features to yours). Once I downloaded/installed the updates, it made a HUGE difference on my bluetooth connectivity (it's basically perfect now).

Give it a try, and it might help (incidentally, I'm using a Sony Ericcson T630, an older model, and it's working well with the Garmin).

S

Strangely enough, the most compatible phone I've used so far is the Motorola Z6 which did most things except allow u to dial from the Nuvi. BUT, after the October update, its a complete nightmmare & very hit & miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

I set up my new Nokia 6300 without any hassle to my 610. My stored numbers display on the 610 and I can make calls using the 610 to numbers stored on both. I've only received one text so far while driving and it didnt show on the 610 - dont particularly want to read texts while driving anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I had my Sony Ericsson K800i working perfectly with my Garmin 610 for weeks until last week I was fiddling with the sat nav and couldn't get the bluetooth to switch back on. I downloaded the latest operating software & hey presto the bluetooth works perfectly again but I've lost my UK & Ireland map. I'm left with no detail, just the base map. I don't know what to do as I bought it second hand on eBay so although it's practically new I have no original receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if you're on the latest (V4.20) of the 610 s/w you may need the firmware Bluetooth upgrade which is available via the Garmin Webupdater, you need to install WebUpdater on your PC, connect up the 610 and then run the WebUpdater, it will offer you the Bluetooth firmware upgrade which may fix your problem.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

I'm using a Garmin 760 with a Sony Erricson W810 phone. The Garmin website says the W810 is not compatible for SMS but it seems to work MOST of the time. However every now and then the two units decide not to sync up for SMS and the only way to get them back is to delete all user data which of course means favourites and all waypoints etc. Anyone know if the waypoints can be stored on the SD card so that in the event of me having to reset the unit I would not lose this data??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Kevin:

This is what worked for me and my Nuvi 670...

All you should have to do is go to the Bluetooth in Settings and then hit Restore. That will restore just the Bluetooth, not everything else, and your phone should sync up.

In other words, do NOT hit the main Restore in Settings, just the one in Bluetooth.

This seems to work fine for me (especially after downloading the firmware update off of the Garmin website).

WW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kevin Heenan

Thanks WW. Will try that the next time. Have downladed firmware update also. I suspect though that I could have a problem with the phone (Sony Erricson W810) as sometimes it goes into a loop when I try to turn off the bluetooth. I'm also still having problems being heard from the built in mic on the Garmin. Anyone tried the external mic set up with a NUVI?

Advertisement