Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour Blind

Options
  • 31-01-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

This is a half rant - half interested-in-other-opinins post. It can be really annnoying when it comes to using anything colour coded and even more annoying trying to describe it to other people. You get "what colour is this" and "what colour is that" all the time. The way it affects me most is watching sports. I was watching the Cardiff Blues (light blue) v Stade Francais (pink), and to me it was thirty players all wearing the same colour jersey. It's the same with the african soccer atm. Ivory Coast (orange) v any team in green (which half the teams seem to be).

It got me wondering are there many other colour blind people or am I on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead thought he was colour blind there a while back. went for a wee wee and the it was coming out green. Chuckled to myself and went "Jesus Pighead you've suddenly gone colour blind" STD nurse looked over me shoulder and said "Nope, thats the infection buddy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Guy I went to college with was red-green colour blind. He was utterly convinced that red was just a pigment of our imaginations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead thought he was colour blind there a while back.
    Pigment?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, i'm slightly colourblind.

Often refer to navy as black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

nope you're not alone...
    the lads used to take the piss out of me playing snooker... i was always sinking the green and brown as reds...
    and when i'm formatting on the pc and the colour swatch doesn't print the name of the colour i'm left guessing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am colour blind too. I gave up playing snooker a long time ago. Got fed up following where the brown ball was on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Afaik as many as 1/20 males are green/red colour blind.Its only like 1/400 or something for the wimmens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Im a designer and I had a client refering to blue as green today, was doing my head in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

what number do you see?

what number do you see?
    Its a rabbit!
    Funnily enough that was the exact test my genetics lecturer gave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

what number do you see?

Not think of maybe renaming the picture and uploading it to imageshack first or something?

You'd want to be completely blind to get it wrong!

A guy I used to go to school with had to use high contrast black and white OS maps as he couldn't tell the colours apart normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NLEbCR57M
    Ever so slightly off topic but astounding nonetheless.

Not think of maybe renaming the picture and uploading it to imageshack first or something?

You'd want to be completely blind to get it wrong!

A guy I used to go to school with had to use high contrast black and white OS maps as he couldn't tell the colours apart normally.

i've got my sleepy head on tonight! doh!

we'll try and get it right this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

Just done this test to confirm and yes I'm colour blind.

A secondary school teacher done of these tests on me years ago and said i was colour blind, but i have no problem playing snooker or watch football. I think its a very mild case of colour blindness.

i always laugh when people think colour blind means you only see in black and white. I posted two pictures of my car in Motors last week, one picture had white alloys on the car and the other had gray alloys. Somebody joked that i had two different types of wheels on and i posted, ' i'm colour blind are they both not green??' (as a joke) they thought i was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I never knew there were so many colour blind people. I've never met anybody that (I knew/ told me that the were) colour blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

If this looks normal to you, you might be colourblind!

If this looks normal to you, you might be colourblind!

A better AH reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Senna wrote: »
    http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

Just done this test to confirm and yes I'm colour blind.

A secondary school teacher done of these tests on me years ago and said i was colour blind, but i have no problem playing snooker or watch football. I think its a very mild case of colour blindness.

i always laugh when people think colour blind means you only see in black and white. I posted two pictures of my car in Motors last week, one picture had white alloys on the car and the other had gray alloys. Somebody joked that i had two different types of wheels on and i posted, ' i'm colour blind are they both not green??' (as a joke) they thought i was serious.

ok, it appears i'm not colour blind, however this doesn't explain two things

1] how i can never tell if colours clash (i'm convinced this is made-up by wimmins and metrosexuals)
    2] How salmon can be anything other than a fish. Your shirt is pink not "salmon", you are fooling nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

so what colours do colour blind people see and what colours do they replace for the ones they dont see right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

basquille wrote: »
    Often refer to navy as black.

Or very very very very very very very VERY dark blue. Never buy priests socks from a normal shop, they shaft you every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    so what colours do colour blind people see and what colours do they replace for the ones they dont see right.

Lars Bohinen of Blackburn saw red as green and vice versa, had awful trouble at traffic lights I'm sure. :D

If your colour blind you cant get a job as a psychiatric nurse (not being able to tell the differents in colour pills).
    And up until a few years ago, if you were a garda, you couldn't drive a squad car if you were colour blind. (a conviction for someone running a red light would get over-turned if the court was told you were colour blind).
    Also in WW2, colour blind snipers and spotters had much better success at finding targets, as they rely on shapes against dark backgrounds rather than colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

There are different types of colour blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

2] How salmon can be anything other than a fish. Your shirt is pink not "salmon", you are fooling nobody.

Oh don't worry, "salmon" is just the PC phrasing for gay but haven't told the parents yet.:D
    If your colour blind you cant get a job as a psychiatric nurse (not being able to tell the differents in colour pills).
    And up until a few years ago, if you were a garda, you couldn't drive a squad car if you were colour blind. (a conviction for someone running a red light would get over-turned if the court was told you were colour blind).
    Also in WW2, colour blind snipers and spotters had much better success at finding targets, as they rely on shapes against dark backgrounds rather than colours.

I'd never actually thought of the nurse scenario one.:eek:
    I have heard that it will also prevent you becoming a fighter pilot, as to a commercial pilot they never said.
    Have heard the bit about camoflauge not working right against those who are colourblind too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

I was always taking clour blindness tests as part of medicals. Even failed a few - meaning I never got some jobs I was going for.
    Once I downloaded the tests from the net, and memorised them - I never failed any more medicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

interesting comparison pictures on the right hand side of that wiki article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I think pills are changing. They're numbering them now as well. Another job you can't do is an electrician, that could end badly if you mixed up red and brown. I was also told that if your colour blind your eyes adjust quicker in the dark than anyone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

As far as I know alot of animals only see in black and white so that's they're able to see better and hunt in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As for the poster you said he never knew there was so many colour blind people. Far more men are colour blind then women, there's far more men than women on boards so the resulsts (and of the poll on the other thread) will be slightly skewed!

My friend is colour blind and went out to buy new white laces for his runners. He got home and his mum said are they for your girlfriend? He hadn't realised they were baby pink!

Advertisement