Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science for pgce application

Options
  • 31-01-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi guys
    im applying for a few pgces over in the uk. only thing is i didnt do science for my leaving cert, i did home ec, does this count as their is a bit of science (biology )in it, or else i did do science in my j.c alright.

another thing is im meeting the principle from my old national school on monday, i told him i was interested in subbing. he said u cant do subbing in a primary school without gaelilge, so i said i would like to do some work experinence (voluntary) instead. is that true that i cant get subbing with out irish...? i have pass irish which is why im going to uk for post grad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

From the teaching council website
    Part Two

PROVISIONAL RECOGNITION FOR TEACHERS TRAINED IN ANOTHER
    MEMBER STATE OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

1. PROVISIONAL RECOGNITION IN MAINSTREAM NATIONAL SCHOOLS

Teachers trained in another Member State of the European Union, whose qualifications have been assessed and accepted by the Department of Education and Science, but who do not possess an appropriate Irish language qualification, will be granted a five year period of provisional recognition to teach in national schools. During this period of provisional recognition these teachers will be required to work towards meeting the Department's Irish language requirements in accordance with paragraph 2 below. They must also agree that they will attend, where necessary, an appropriate training course or courses to prepare for the Scrúdú Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge.

In order to apply for provisional recognition, applicants must submit all of the documentation referred to in Schedule 1. Applications that do not include all of the required documentation will be returned to the applicant. On receipt of all of the required documentation, the Department will assess the qualification

2. IRISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS

Teachers in national schools must be qualified to teach the range of primary school
    subjects to children aged 4 to 12 years. Accordingly, applicants must satisfy the
    Department of Education and Science that they are competent to teach the Irish
    language and to teach the range of primary school curricular subjects through the
    medium of Irish before being granted full recognition to teach in mainstream classes
    in national schools.

In order to satisfy the Irish language requirement applicants must:

(i) Pass the written, aural and oral parts of the Scrúdú Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge (S.C.G.) Further information on the S.C.G. is set out in Schedule 2; and

(ii) Provide certification that they have resided in the Gaeltacht while attending an approved three-week course or its aggregated equivalent either in one-week blocks or in a combination of one-week and two week blocks. Details of approved Gaeltacht courses are available from Primary Administration Section, Department of Education and Science, Athlone, Co. Westmeath (Ph: 01 - 8734700). With effect from May 2000, on successful completion of the S.C.G. by the candidate and on receipt of the above certification, Primary Administration will refund a proportion of the fees incurred by the candidate in attending the Gaeltacht course. This refund will be equivalent to the subsidy payable to the Colleges of Education students for analogous courses. At the moment this subsidy is appromimately €430 candidate.

but
    5 RESPONSIBILITY OF SCHOOLS, WHO EMPLOY TEACHERS WITH PROVISIONAL RECOGNITION, FOR THE TEACHING OF THE IRISH CURRICULUM

Schools who employ teachers with provisional recognition, whether it be in a permanent, temporary or substitute capacity, should note that they have a responsibility to ensure that appropriate arrangements are made for the teaching of the Irish curriculum to the class to which the provisionally recognised teacher is allocated. Under no circumstances should such a class be deprived of competent Irish language tuition. Such schools will be required to show what arrangements are in place to the Department's Inspectors when they visit the schools.

So it looks like technically they could hire you to sub, but as you don't have Irish qualifications, they would have to make provision for someone to teach Irish, which would mean getting a second sub with the revelant qualification which would make hiring you pointless or the principal would have to teach, which in a small school may not be feasible if he is already a teacher there or in a bigger school, he has enough to be doing without taking irish classes.

if you are going to the UK to qualify as a primary teacher with the intention of returning to Ireland to teach, you will still have to do the Irish exams over here if you want to teach. don't know what the situation is with science. is it a requirement of the PGCE in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

As far as I know, the minimum requirement for subbing in a primary school is a Leaving Certificate with Honours Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lornie

Thanks for the replies. I think I will continue to observe in the classrooms to gain experience If I am not in the position to sub. My goal is to complete a PGCE and then return to sit the scrudu within the probation period.
    A number of the universities in the UK require English, Maths and Science, while some only require 2 of the above. Without science this may narrow my choice on the GTTR search engine but I will persevere!!

Advertisement