Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a form for a Website

Options
  • 31-01-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi i am designing a website and i want to put a form on one of the pages so that the user can enter their details and send their cv to me.Any ideas as to how to go about this?I am using dreamweaver to do the site.Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

What sort of stuff do you want them to enter?

Just to clarify, will the cv information be entered into the form?
    or uploaded though the form? (Like using a browse button to select your document to send)

General forms are constructed with only 2 tags (But with varying types and attributes)
    <form> and <input>
    <input> will allow you to create input boxs for text entry, and also your submit/reset buttons.

Dreamweaver is able to create forms, and I'm sure there's a built in help file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 crazydave

Hey they will just be entering text such as their name and address etc

And yes i want the cv to be uploaded through the form

the help section doesnt work on my version of dreamweaver which is a real pain!

cool
    well the uploading is just another button. check out here

and some good form info here at w3schools

The hard part is what to do and how to do it with the file once it's arriving into your server.
    You will need some sort of script to process the file and save it somewhere onto your server

what sort of technologies run on your hosting? .Net. php, java?

cool nice one,cheers for that

Not sure what technologies run on your hosting as i haven't bought the web space yet

What would you recommend?

well recommendations would depend on a few things, so I couldn't give just one.
    They depend on a few things:
    cost, what technologies they support, will you be writing the code?, do the hosting company support the language you know etc?

If you haven't decide on a technology you want to use to implement your site, picking a host first limits your technology choices.

Personally, I'd pick how I want to solve the problem first (dot net, php, java),
    then I'd look at hosting

Do you know what I mean?

What else will you want your site to do? any dynamic content, or searches, or message board type things?

• Advertisement

cool i understand exactly what you are saying.I will definitely pick java then cos thats the language i have the most knowledge about.

For the moment apart from information, the form is the only other thing on the website.

I might put a search feature in but thats way down the line.

thanks for all your suggestions.you have been a great help!

ok, cool.

Just a small point, In my experience java/jsp/servlet hosting *tends* to be a bit more expensive. Also writing a java servlet for file uploading was a bit more cumbersome than dot net stuff.

Anyway, here's some java and c# dot net examples:

c#:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323246
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10879-5109284.html

java:
    http://www.oop-reserch.com/mime_example_3.html
    http://www.servletsuite.com/servlets/upload.htm

I have a working java upload servlet somewhere that I wrote, think I needed to add an apache commons module to it to

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Dave use PHP, MySQL and Apache. XAMMP from apache and friend have all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dave878

mach1982 wrote: »
    Dave use PHP, MySQL and Apache. XAMMP from apache and friend have all you need

i would definitely agree with mach1982

PHP and basic MYSQL are very easy to learn and will do exactly what you need.
    PHP has a syntax very similar to java so you will feel right at home.

Also, it is very easy to incorporate PHP code into an existing HTML page.

You should try phpdev for local testing of code.
    its a simple windows installation and perfect for beginners.

Support opensource whenever you can

i have sent you a PM of a very good, cheap hosting provider, and they accept PAYPAL so theres no risk.

Advertisement