Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning gravestones

Options
  • 31-01-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Would like to clean my grandparents' headstones - one is granite and the other a sort of white marble. Anyone know the best way to get lichen etc. off?
    Sorry for the slightly morbid thread:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Cillit Bang. Bang, and the dirt is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

nitric acid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Thanks - any ideas where I'd get my mitts on nitric acid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Woodies sell alot of clearners for diferent stone types, or at least they did when I worked there. Granite, Slate, Marble etc. I cant remember the brand name but its usually near the tile adhesives etc.

When you finish cleaning then treat them with a sealer and they will stay cleaner for longer.

There are companies that clean headstones but they are not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Would like to clean my grandparents' headstones - one is granite and the other a sort of white marble. Anyone know the best way to get lichen etc. off?
    Sorry for the slightly morbid thread:)

He dude, get yourself either a softwire steel brush, or a hard plastic one....just bring along some watch and soak the lichen with a cloth for a while then scrub. Those two brushes won't damage the headstones in any way and should make quick work of it in conjunction with the soaking.

• Advertisement

OK lads - thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Domestos or something with bleach is also good.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You can never go wrong with lasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dynamite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting that link up spurious - brilliant info. Thanks to everyone for all the other suggestions too...except maybe the dynamite one. Had to giggle though, even if it is my grandparents' headstones we are talking about. :)
    Off I go tomorrow so in my fetching safety goggles and rubber gloves.

Advertisement