Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain after tooth extraction

Options
  • 31-01-2008 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a tooth taken out last friday evening, one of the big teeth on the bottom right side.
    Anyways, things were going fine for the weekend, was rinsing with warm salt water, the nurofen plus was doing the trick and then on tuesday the pain just started to get a whole lot worse. The nurofen wasn't working either.

I went into the dentist yesterday and she flushed out the hole and put me on stronger painkillers and anti-biotics. But I'm still in loads of pain, the painkillers have me kind of wiped out but they're not doing anything for the pain.

I'm a bit worried because I've had extractions before and they were never this much trouble.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im assuming you asked the dentist why you are in pain? So what did they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The antibiotics suggests an infection. Not good, you could have 3-4 days of pain. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

She said that there was a bit of food in the hole, and she cleaned it out. I've done my best to keep food away from it and I've rinsed after every time I've eaten. I don't think anything is getting into it now but I can't see all the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The antibiotics suggests an infection. Not good, you could have 3-4 days of pain. Sorry.

Ah that's not too bad so, once it'll go away by itself. Is it normal for the painkillers not to work? I might as well not take them if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Best advice will come from the dentist.

I don't know if you smoke but I remember having an extraction and being told not to smoke as the sucking action can remove the 'plug' or clot of blood and lead to further bleeding/infection. IIRC, this is more likely in the case of an extraction of an upper tooth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement