Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with fat air?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

i dont know why, probably because i havent slept for over 24 hours, but the question came to me and i was wondering has anyone got an opinion on this

why do people always say, " vanished into thin air"?????

has nobody vanished into fat air? in fact what is thin air and fat air???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thin Air
    / refreshes store page
    They haven't made a fat air yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wtf ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

you have wayy to much time on your hands!!! :)

LOL i suffer from bouts of insomnia and strange things occur to me yes......

but i feel its a vaild question in this forum anyway!!!!

ill just google it i guess

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

This makes me very gruntled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Homer vanished into fat air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

cause it doesnt sound right!

lol when did homer vanish into fat air??? eyes closing now, will check reply in roughly.......6 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OK so something has vanished. If it disappeared into layers of 'fat air' it doesn't quantify how shocking and amazing it is that the said item vanished in an unbelievable way, because there is so much 'fat air' to disappear into.
    Now when something disappears into 'thin air' its all the more shocking because of the very fact that its thin, there isn't much to hide in.

So you see thin air is altogether much more amazing for something to disappear into.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

I think Shakespeare coined that phrase in "The Tempest"

umm..something got to do with actors vanishing into thin air or something.

no idea what it means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

From a technical point of view air gets thinner as you go higher up ie. less molecules in a given volume.

So working from that I suppose air is fattest in Holland somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Air is thin - in that you can move through it with no resistance and it is clear. I think the phrase is emphasising how amazing it is that something has vanished because there's nothing but air around, and because it's so thin, there is no where to hide in air.

It's not about air being fat or thin in any other senses of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kevmy wrote: »
    From a technical point of view air gets thinner as you go higher up ie. less molecules in a given volume.

So working from that I suppose air is fattest in Holland somewhere

It's not fatter. It's thicker.

Advertisement