Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding C++ errors on the fly

Options
  • 31-01-2008 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm about to start some work using c++, having mainly worked with Java before. Eclipse's Java editor has an amazingly useful feature which points your compile-time errors out as you go (for example, duplicate local variables or leaving out semicolons).
    Programming in c++ kind of irritates me because I have to compile it every time to find any errors.
    Does anyone know of a c++ IDE which offers a similar feature? I'm an impoverished student so an open-source or freeware project would be very helpful.

Edit: I tried google, but I couldn't find much. I don't even know what this feature is called, so it's not easy to find any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

You like eclipse and its features so much?
    why change? :)
    Download the CDT plugin
    Its a c/c++ plugin for writing c and c++ in eclipse.
    It uses gcc compiler, which you may need to get desperately, I can't remember.
    But all the required info should be at the end of the link :)
    It's pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Due to very difficult nature of the C++ syntax, the types of incremental compilers that are used in IDE's like Eclipse and VS are just not out there.

The syntax is almost impossible to parse without recourse to type lookup and given the fact the forward declaration is possible, only partial type info may be available and hence the parse cannot be completed.

I know VS has some features but they rely on full class definitions being available.

If any IDE is using this then those fancy features may be available but i'm not aware of any free ones.

From a free software point, the Eclipse C++ plugin may be the best available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Cheers for the advice.
    Maybe I'll stick to what I have, then.

Advertisement