Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand Clear Luggage Doors Operating

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

just back from cork on the bus eireann and ive never laughed my ass off so hard in all my life. im sure you've all heard the legendry warning "STAND CLEAR, LUGGAGE DOORS OPERATING" repeated about 10 times at every stop in that lovely culchie accent.

i want to know who this man is - he's got some guile i tell u that.

never mind london underground with their "mind the gap" t shirts, i think bus eireann could be onto a money spinner here - id wear a t shirt with pride with that emblazoned on the front

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I smell what you are cooking here. It Is funny!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Everytime i'm on a Bus Eireann bus i hear that chant... it's pretty much burned into my mind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He doesn't even say operating, he says Stand clear luggage doors operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One of my friends recorded it when we were waiting for the bus in Cork one day, when he gets a message now all you hear is "stand clear, luggage doors operating"

It's even funnier when he gets a message on the bus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of my friends recorded it when we were waiting for the bus in Cork one day, when he gets a message now all you hear is "stand clear, luggage doors operating"

It's even funnier when he gets a message on the bus

What's the quality like? I meant to record it during the summer when I had to get the bus to work but kept forgetting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

I can hear it ringing in my ears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I think it sounds like Charlie McCreevy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WiDGe->

i wonder if he gets commission every time its said on a bus - he'd be stinking rich if e did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Its alright it took him a few tries to get it right though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ya think thats gas the new dublin bus fleet has smoking warnings "DUBLIN BUS WOULD LIKE TO REMIND ITS PASSENGERS THAT SMOKING IS ILLEGAL ON ALL OF ITS BUSES" Randomly comes on threw the speakers and scares the **** outta ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I like the idea of it as a ring tone:D:D

I may have to look into this next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Oh Jesus....on my way to Galway recently whatever mechanism makes this play on a loop got stuck around Athlone....suffice to say I was bordering on insanity when I got off the bus having listened to this man repeat himself non stop for the remaining 2 hours of the bus journey. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ya think thats gas the new dublin bus fleet has smoking warnings "DUBLIN BUS WOULD LIKE TO REMIND ITS PASSENGERS THAT SMOKING IS ILLEGAL ON ALL OF ITS BUSES" Randomly comes on threw the speakers and scares the **** outta ya :D
    #13, awrigh' bud? Paranoid, yeh?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I was told that it was the voice of a now retired Inspector, I believe his name was Vincent McNally.

He had a bit of a ruthless reputation. But if he boarded the bus the driver could keep him talking rubbish if you knew a thing or two about hurling or horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

RadioCity wrote: »
    I was told that it was the voice of a now retired Inspector, I believe his name was Vincent McNally.

He had a bit of a ruthless reputation. But if he boarded the bus the driver could keep him talking rubbish if you knew a thing or two about hurling or horses.

Hmnn I'm fairly familiar with Vincent as he was always on the Dublin/Kildare route in the 80's and 90's. I don't think that's him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah, as soon as i saw this the title of this thread I could hear that thick, Irish voice playing away in me head.

The funniest one I ever heard was a bus I got from Longford. The doors opened really slowly and the "Stand clear........." was really low-pitch, like a walkman low on batteries. He sounded like ED-209 from Robocop! ("Drop your weapon, you have 15 seconds to comply!")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ScumLord wrote: »
    He doesn't even say operating, he says Stand clear luggage doors operate.

You won't be laughing when your walking down the street and suddenly need an emergency surgery and one of them comes to your rescue! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He says "operating" all right but the "ing" kinda fades out. Yeah it's a real Midlands accent - the way my nan from Roscommon and grandad from Meath used to speak. The "ating" part of "operating" is pronounced "aitin'" - as in "there's aitin' and drinkin' in that" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Goodness that can go through your head, as someone else said -- as soon as I read the title - the voice came booming into my ears. If you were ever attempting to drift off on the coach, good luck if that came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

there is more than one voice doing it, i remember there used to be a different one before the midlands guy took over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm sure its saying "luggage doors operate"

I've argued this on the bus and listened carefully, the gf is of the other argument.

Its operaTE

If I'm wrong I'm deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WiDGe->

well he defo said operat - ING yesterday. maybe he recorded loads of different copies of it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

At least its not a skangery Doob accent

" Stan cleyahr dere Bood,dem loogage dowers is operahin"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement