Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Electric cable under driveway.

• 31-01-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to be getting my existing driveway dug up and replaced. I think when house was originally built that provision was made for a light outside on edge of garden and as such a cable run was established which would have run under diveway. Maybe a stupid question but could this cable still be live and so it would be dangerous to dig up driveway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You'll probably find that the cable is run from one of the lightswitches but with the tails not connected. Undo the faceplates of the switches beside the door nearest the light and see if you find unconnected tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Avns1s wrote: »
    You'll probably find that the cable is run from one of the lightswitches but with the tails not connected. Undo the faceplates of the switches beside the door nearest the light and see if you find unconnected tails.

House is 30 years old but recently had house rewired and did not mention possible cable outside so is it likely that no connection exists. Sorry if question seems bit silly but would it be worth getting an electrician in before any digging commences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Can you switch off the power and dig by hand where the light was supposed to go? Hopefully you will find the cable and carefully check whether it is live when you turn the power back on?

Also, can you see where it goes into the house and try and follow it until you get to the end inside?

Avns1s wrote: »
    Can you switch off the power and dig by hand where the light was supposed to go? Hopefully you will find the cable and carefully check whether it is live when you turn the power back on?

Also, can you see where it goes into the house and try and follow it until you get to the end inside?

I'm afraid I am completely in the dark as to where light was supposed to go, I am not even 100% certain it exists, I just remember my Dad mention it years ago,so really not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

obviously without knowning the installation this advice coule be seen to be poor, please note this is only an opinion, however, if it was only provision for a supply 30 years ago and not a powered fitting, and since then the place has been fully rewired, it is very unlikely that this cable is live, I would think that it never was in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Just go into your local tool hire shop and rent a locator. They are very accurate and i used to use the whole time while layin cables for energex round the streets of brisbane... only ever hit one cable and thats cause the machine driver was drunk!

Tks for the answers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

you could always turn off your power supply via the main fuse while you dig your driveway -

Advertisement