Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation...ugh

Options
  • 30-01-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Ok don't laugh.

I'm a history/politics student and have to do my dissertation this year. I studied abroad last year so missed the 'dissertation preparation' module and basically no-one is being very helpful. My studies advisor is on a leave of absence (has been since start of the yr!) and I am going to see another professor about it next week but in the meantime...

In general, is your dissertation topic meant to be a question or just a statement? Like for example, say I'm interested in the Famine. Can you just write about the Famine (like xyz happened) or do you have to be more precise and have a question to be answered (eg: How did the experience of women in the famine compare to that of men?).

I know I sound like I'm nuts but I have no clue about it an no-one I ask wants to help! I have a couple of areas I'm interested in but I can't think of a specific aspect of those areas to be precise about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ellscurr wrote: »

In general, is your dissertation topic meant to be a question or just a statement? Like for example, say I'm interested in the Famine. Can you just write about the Famine (like xyz happened) or do you have to be more precise and have a question to be answered (eg: How did the experience of women in the famine compare to that of men?).

Yeah, generally with a dissertation you are answering a question, or a looking into a philosophy you may have on a certain topic rather than putting down all the facts on a period of history. You may have one particular aspect that you would like to research further in the hope of answering some questions and possibly providing a basis for further work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Here's a resource that I find quite usefull.:)http://www.socscidiss.bham.ac.uk/s1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks guys :D

Advertisement