Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight simulator

Options
  • 30-01-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent flight simulator game for the PC? Doesn't have to the latest and greatest thing. I've started on the road for the PPL and I'd just like something at home to use. Preferably game should include a Grob G115. Thanks.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Fs2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Yes FS2004 but you will have to download the Grob 115 from AVSIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Default aircraft in any flight sim are crap. Payware addons are hte best, most realistic and most functional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Default aircraft in any flight sim are crap. Payware addons are hte best, most realistic and most functional
    Agreed, but just the fact that they cost money at all is a pain the ass... especially, when your under 18 and stuck to using a 3v card.

Microsoft FSx(flight simulator) is good too, but it consumes a lot of the PC's resources. RAM, Hard Drive, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Thanks all. Download in progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ya fs2004 is the best....you may consider(seen as your doing your ppl) flying with vateir....its basically you have real controllers on the other end of the mic, and real pilots in the virtual skies around you! and free irish scenery eh out of date....like its from 2002 so its not bad at all seen as its free. But ya payware are the best but avsim.com just have literally thousands of planes to download for free.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

X-Plane

for PC, Linux and MacOSX
    Great physics model
    Only flight sim which has been sanctioned for training purposes by the FAA
    towards airline transport rating and CPL in the US

http://www.x-plane.com/FTD.html

Grob available at www.x-plane.org

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=3754

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I've FS 2004 48% down at the moment. Anyone else have an opinion on X-plane? Also, recommendations for a site to order a USB yoke? Thanks.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

I have used both.....

MSFS2004 or MSFSX are both good flight sims as well...I have used MSFS since the 98 version.

I just decided to start using X-Plane instead. Why?

- MSFS tends to require lots of resources....high end video card, lots of ram, fast procs.....and sometimes the screen rates are still slow!!

- Each subsequent release of MSFS almost requires a new machine....or at least assumes that you are running fast technology to take advantage of all the additional eye candy code that they throw in with every release.

I am not saying it is a bad product....but I think for $50 upgrades every 3 years, it should be better......less eye candy (faster screen rates) and better flight dynamics would be nice.

However MSFS is the 800lb gorilla in the FS arena and there are some excellent third party add-ons for MSFS.

One terrific add-on for MSFS is the ATR by Flight 1

http://atr.flight1.net/

Phoenix Simulation in the UK also used to do some great add-ons for the Dash-8 and Airbus, but they appear to have ceased trading for the moment

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really enjoyed x-plane, must dig it out again over the weekend. Some interesting scenarios in it, I really loved the space shuttle landing one :)

Another one I've been meaning to try but haven't yet is FlightGear, it's supposed to be quite good. Looking at the screen shots it doesn't look up to the level of the more commercial sims, but not bad either. And it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cool never seen that flightgear one before must give it a pop.

Advertisement