Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help picking a gps as a gift

Options
  • 30-01-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i plan to buy a sat nav for my father soon as a birthday gift. ideally I would like to keep the cost below 200 but could stretch the budget a little bit if necessary.

the two models that have stuck out to me so far are the garmin nuvi 250w and the tomtom one regional (cheapest).

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I should get. It will be used around Ireland but mostly in the Connaught area and in Dublin. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Garmin 250w seems the best for the money, Soundstore prices seem pretty good.

The TT One and Garmin are both good when it comes to city and densely populated areas. 7.10 teleatlas maps Vs Navteq 2008 Maps

Garmin is better with back roads than the tomtom. Tomtom One seems better at routing and rerouting if you miss a turn.

Mind you, I found the interface much easier on the tomtom ...though I've small fingers for whatever reason typing on the 250w garmin was a pain :confused:

I'd say go with the garmin ;) but make sure it has the 2008 maps. or get the tomtom with 7.10 maps

A gps is just an aid after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

thanks for the quick reply cps_goodbuy

I've decided to go with a garmin model., although haven't fully decided on which one yet.
    The 250W seems like the best choice but both the 200W and 300 seem to have similarly good features at lower costs. Would it be worth paying extra for the 250W? Plus, does the widescreen make a big difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,335 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The widescreen means that you can see more when you're driving but the unit is more bulky and this is a disadvantage when carrying it around. Bear in mind also that for pedestrian use the 300 has a flip-up antenna while the 250 does not. For a full feature comparision I'd go to the Garmin web site, click on the units you're considering and look at the feature comparisons, where there are feature differences the lines are highlighted.

Go here and click on 'Automotive', then select a few (max. 5) units to compare.....

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/ontheroad/

For an independent comparison, go here....

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/buyers_guide.php

Advertisement