Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help buyng 50''+ flat screen

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good value package at the moment? I'm thinking television + stand. I know little to nothing about LCDs or Plasmas or HD so all advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

If your going for anything over 44-46" you will have to go for plasma. Sony, LG, and Samsung are the best on the market. Look for number of HDMI slots and the contrast 8000:1 and above and you will be OK. I like the look of the samsung plasma samsung ps50q97hdx.Has everything and good value for money...But... SHOP AROUND. Good Luck Around €1400-€1600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

The sort of TV that would suit you best depends on what you intend to use it for....... so what do you intend to use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

At the size Plasma is the way to go.
    If you loads of money to burn, Pioneer Kuro is definately the set to get:
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/pdp508xd.htm
    If not so much but equally cracking set is Panasonic 50"
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/th50py70.htm

Pioneer, Panasonic and maybe Samsung would be the only Plasma CE sets I would go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yeah was just going to say, panasonic and pioneer are probably the best for plasmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

dessierb wrote: »
    If your going for anything over 44-46" you will have to go for plasma. Sony, LG, and Samsung are the best on the market. Look for number of HDMI slots and the contrast 8000:1 and above and you will be OK. I like the look of the samsung plasma samsung ps50q97hdx.Has everything and good value for money...But... SHOP AROUND. Good Luck Around €1400-€1600

Sony see plasma as the work of the devil. i.e they dont make plasmas!!! I would'nt disregard lcd straight away anyway.It mostly comes down to personal preference IMO.Thats why both of them are going strong.I think you'll find gamers will nearly always take lcd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Sony, LG, and Samsung

Sony dont do plasmas as posted above , they stopped years ago , and Sony were very late coming to the market with LCD's so they wouldnt be the best by a long shot , people just have Sony down as good for TV's based on the CRT Wega technology , which were indeed very good but are not the same thing at all.
    The latest model Bravias are quite good ( earlier ones sucked big time ) but there are far better sets for the money.

Samsung are OK as a budget model , LG I dont rate at all , personal opinion but Ive seen a lot of them and I think they really are not great.

Pioneer and Panasonic rule for plasmas , and they beat the rest of the pack by miles , they really really do !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

ongarite wrote: »
    At the size Plasma is the way to go.
    If you loads of money to burn, Pioneer Kuro is definately the set to get:
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/pdp508xd.htm
    If not so much but equally cracking set is Panasonic 50"
    http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/th50py70.htm

Pioneer, Panasonic and maybe Samsung would be the only Plasma CE sets I would go for.
    +1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davybaby40

Hi Guys , anyone who watches movies and can't see the difference in picture quality between plasma Vs LCD must be blind.
    If its gaming and hi-def content then LCD have certainly made some great strides over the years.
    Regards the size debate... LCD are easily available in large formats .
    Plasma is still the best choice for movies with quicker response time and STILL better black levels.
    And here's another one .... Lots is said about LCD's being more energy efficient than plasma.European legislation states that the power consumption figure on an electrical appliance must be the maximum power it can consume.
    LCD's rated for instance at 300watts consume this power continuously
    Plasma power consumption varies according to the brightness of the screen.
    If your watching some dark and moody film power consumption would be less than half of the LCD's consumption.
    Regard Brands, there's no doubt Pioneer are the daddy of the plasma's but you cant ignore the price differential over say Panasonic or Even Hitachi.
    Paying an extra K for the pioneer does not equate to a €1000 better picture.
    Best at the moment in plasma ?? Hitachi's T series although you'd be hard pushed to descide between Hitachi or Plasmsa.

Sony ??? Just a big name . Bravia (where's the RED gone !)is still crap for the money

Advertisement