Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a PC to TV

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Geforce 6600 DDR 256mb AGP video card in a PC I wish to connect to my standard TV.

The video card has a port which says "S-Out" but instead of 4 or 7 pins it has 9. I emailed the manufacturer (PNY) and they replied saying I need what PNY calls a "breakout pod". It is 9 pin and has hdtv(rgb) svideo, and composite(yellow rca cable).

Any ideas where I could pick this up in Dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

try Peats or Maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

listermint wrote: »
    try Peats or Maplin.

Peats hadn't clue what I was talking about and Maplin won't answer their phone for the last 30 mins :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What you are looking for is a " S-Video " cable. Both peats and maplins sell them. Along with any other electrical shop like currys, dixons, pc world just to name a few. But be aware. S-video is only pure video. No sound will come through that cable at all.

To get sound working you will need a male 3.5mm to 2 male rcs

2male rca
    Connect from yoru sound card to your tv.
    CC399-05_LR.jpg

s-video
    Connect form yoru graphics card to your tv. ( thats if your tv has a s-video in port )
    6ft-sVIDEO-cable.jpg

Anti wrote: »
    What you are looking for is a " S-Video " cable. Both peats and maplins sell them. Along with any other electrical shop like currys, dixons, pc world just to name a few. But be aware. S-video is only pure video. No sound will come through that cable at all.

To get sound working you will need a male 3.5mm to 2 male rcs

2male rca
    Connect from yoru sound card to your tv.
    CC399-05_LR.jpg

s-video
    Connect form yoru graphics card to your tv. ( thats if your tv has a s-video in port )
    6ft-sVIDEO-cable.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but SVideo only comes in 4 pin and 7 pin.

My connection, although labelled as S-Out, is 9 pin and the graphics card manufacturer called it a "breakout pod" with 9 pins

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

you don't need the full 9 pins. most s video ports on computers have nine pins. My laptop has 9 pins and I use a standard s-video cable (i think it has 4 pins) to hook up to my tv and it's perfect.

• Advertisement

And you didnt get the adapter with your card ? If not i have one sitting at home somewhere i think. I think the official name for the 9 pin s-cideo is known as a mini-din or something liek that

You should of got stuff like this with your card

img[

oriain wrote: »
    you don't need the full 9 pins. most s video ports on computers have nine pins. My laptop has 9 pins and I use a standard s-video cable (i think it has 4 pins) to hook up to my tv and it's perfect.

I have a 4 pin S Video cable but it won't fit as there is a square-ish plastic pin and no corresponding hole for it.

The graphics card did come with a cable but I lost it... :(

If you want i can post mine if i can find it.

Anti wrote: »
    If you want i can post mine if i can find it.

Yeah I'd appreciate that very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

John_Mc wrote: »
    Peats hadn't clue what I was talking about and Maplin won't answer their phone for the last 30 mins :rolleyes:

Doubt it.

• Advertisement

eo980 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

What's that suppose to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Doubt it.

I was in peats today looking for a pc tower. I wanted to make sure it was the right one so asked the guy if it was an ATX case and he said he didnt have a clue what that means. Sent me over to the tech guy in the corner who also didnt know. Had to wait on some guy from the back to come out. 'twas very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I was in peats today looking for a pc tower. I wanted to make sure it was the right one so asked the guy if it was an ATX case and he said he didnt have a clue what that means. Sent me over to the tech guy in the corner who also didnt know. Had to wait on some guy from the back to come out. 'twas very frustrating.

What did this guy look like, any details you can give me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

What did this guy look like, any details you can give me?

To be honest i didn't pay too much attention to the guys who couldn't help me. There was only that one guy on the floor too which didnt help. The guy who did know was quite helpful though.

Advertisement