Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Stairs

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just about to start a self build and had a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with. 1 on a concrete stairs and 1 on underfloor heating with a ducon slab upper floor. I guess I should post them seperately,

Concrete Stairs,
    Do I need to include for this in the foundations to support the weight of a concrete stairs or do the foundations stay the same whether or not I go concrete or timber stairs?

I would appreciate any comments or advice,

Many Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would imagine you have a wall supporting the top of your stairs (or a column). This will need to have a suitable foundation. But the total load on this foundation will be about the same as the load on a gable wall. So a 900 x 300 strip should suffice. If you have n engineer he would look after this. Also, there must be foundation support at the base of the flight. AFAIK You can't rest the slab on the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

Thanks Mellor,
    I hadnt envisaged any supporting column, I was just going to have it resting at the top on a ducon slab. So I would need a foundation dug and poured at the base where the stairs is going to rest and also possibly a supporting column underneath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I should think that simply thickening your floorslab under the stairs base will be ok

however , if your conc stairs breaks the insulations layer below the UFH screed and the stairs is close to an external wall you will get a heat sink ( similar to cold bridge )

IF you are dry lining don't forget to let it extend past the stairs edge ( string )

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

See it depend on which type of stairs you are using. Straight flight, half turn etc.

The stairs can be flight only, here it would rest on a slab by means on an angle.
    Or it can include a landing at the top where it would rest on a support wall.

But either way will rest on the ground floor. most of the load is towards the base, and not to the top of the flight. So if you have UFH, the screed would not be enough for support. Some sort of support or foundation is required. How much so depends on the stairs design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

Thanks lads,

Will take a second look at it, we intend using under floor heating on the ground floor so cant afford the stairs to crack the screed and associtaed heat loss

Will take a long hard think about it and question stairs suppliers in more detail,

• Advertisement
Advertisement