Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have to do it , where to start ??

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Im not a big reader but from a young age have been gifted in writing storied , poems ,songs ,i keep getting the urge to start a book about my life and the many twists and turns it has taken BUT as its very personal and has some other serious issues how do i write it as a biography and not use real names ?? including my own preferably ! i know it could be a fiction but its not its very real ,is there one in between ?? this urge wont go away and i really need to do this without getting in trouble with anyone any advice much appreciated , L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You sound like a typical writer; most writers don't read a lot. I suggest you start writing, it doesn't matter about the names, you can use fictitious ones later. If you need to write this personal story for you, to get it out of you, then that's what you must do. Editing and revisions will take care of the rest. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Most of the best fiction is closer to reality than you think. Many of the charecters in Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children for example are based on his own friends and family. His book was voted the Booker of Bookers by the way.

Same can be said of a lot of other novelists.

However, when writing from an autobiographical perspective in fiction, it's important to be careful to not navel gaze too much. Everyone's problems and situations are tough and unique to THEM, but may not be so to others, so keep that in mind.

Lastly remember that there needs to be a story, no matter what form of fiction you are writing. There needs to be a PROTAGONIST, or several of them. The protagonist needs to have a GOAL, that they are trying to reach. There should be hurdles to reach that GOAL in the form of an antagonistic force. This can be in the form of a person, a situation or even the main charecter's own personality. The combination of Protagonist and Antagonistic force leads to CONFLICT. Without CONFLICT there is no book. Finally there is RESOLUTION, which is the outcome of the CONFLICT, where the protagonist must fail or succeed, and might even have a price to pay. Along the way there should be GROWTH or CHANGE, in the PROTAGONIST. This comes through having to deal with the conflict.

Of course it can be simpler than that, but these are the basic ingredients to any book you can buy in a bookshop.

That's the other thing. What is your goal? Is it just to write something for yourself and your friends to read? Or do you want it in bookshops, because what you produce will change depending on the goal.

Lastly I'll disagree with anyone who says you do not need to read. If you want to write something of quality reading is essential. The more you read the better your own writing will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swordsgal27

Many thanks to you both for that , much appreciated ,think ill go with the fiction (based on a true story) , if this is possible ? as i said many seriuos issues so too difficult to write without getting people incl myself ! into trouble ,all i need now is a title and that should get me started , thanks again L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

just since the topic is here I am also embarking on writing a book.

I was wondering is there a certain font size and type I should be adhering to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Sunn wrote: »
    just since the topic is here I am also embarking on writing a book.

I was wondering is there a certain font size and type I should be adhering to?

standard is 12 point Courier New/Times New Roman. Double-spaced with 1" margins.

All the info you will ever need on manuscript formatting can be found here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

@Sunn: I would say writing your book and formatting it for submission are two entirely different things. Write however you feel most comfortable - use tracing paper or fag packets or papyrus if you like it... just get the thing written. When it's finished is the time to worry about how to set out a manuscript.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Oracle wrote: »
    You sound like a typical writer; most writers don't read a lot.

Hunh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Memnoch wrote: »
    standard is 12 point Courier New/Times New Roman. Double-spaced with 1" margins.

All the info you will ever need on manuscript formatting can be found here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

best of luck.

thanks alot memnoch. @rockbeer. I know what you mean but I'd do it as I'm writing. Just good practice.

thanks for the help!

Advertisement