Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mobile internet charges

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at my online bill and I came across a data
    transfer which was all of 904kBytes and it has been charged
    (on my pay monthly package) at 6.57Euro before VAT !

I've been looking at the various data charges listed on Vodafone's
    website and trying to figure out more economical ways of
    doing internet data transfers.

My phone is a k800i and I've setup the default app and Java
    internet preferred APN to be isp.vodafone.ie as opposed to
    live.vodafone.com. Am I right to be assuming that vodafone
    live APN won't be any good for doing regular http based
    data transfers ? Opera mini (for example) won't download pages
    for me if the internet/data account settings are set to
    vodafone live APN.

The pricing listed at:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/costs/

seems to imply that it is possible to do browsing to non Vodafone
    live pages and still keep your daily bill to under 99c assuming
    you don't overshoot a daily 50MB limit.

Can anyone explain why I would have logically have been charged
    over 7Euro for less than 1MB of data ? What benefits am I getting
    by having chosen isp.vodafone.ie over vodafone live ?

I'll obviously talk to vodafone customer service about this but
    perhaps I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the data
    services pricing structure so I thought I'd air it hear first to see
    if I'm making any rash assumptions.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Possibly because you are not getting charge 2c per k/b. In which case you would have been charged €20 instead of €7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

the pricing structure is a scam. they make too much money from businesses that are willing to spend €50 a month for light usage on the isp apn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fitzrik1

I had a 170euro bill for data transfer alone last month but they refunded it. As well as browsing the web I want to be able to download my email.

I was able to do this using isp.vodafone.ie but not with vodafone live.

So they're not giving access to the full internet? That's rubbish. I'll be taking to them tomorrow trying to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i was able to use opera mini on the live apn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

fitzrik1 wrote: »
    So they're not giving access to the full internet? That's rubbish. I'll be taking to them tomorrow trying to see what the story is.
    Good luck.

Either they won't know what you're talking about, or they won't care. They might offer you 2 months line rental as a goodwill gesture ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

live apn is 99c max per 50mb a day. Or the 9.99 per month option for 500mb per month.

isp.vodafone.ie is 2c per kb afaik.

Get them to put ya onto Tech Support.

They don't really know what they're talking about in there. They set me up with businessemail which is very limited and doesn't work. I had to forward all my email to gmail because they don't support secure imap. If you talk to tech support they don't even know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

just checked my bill online. recently bought a nokia 6110 navigator and it as assisted gps sat nav - which means if it can't find the satillites within a certain lenght of time it goes to the web to get the remainder of the data. left it on one night and it cost me a few euro but the mad thing was that i was browsing around the web on the phone - according to the bill i downloaded about 12mb and it has cost me 56 euro!!! have to get onto vodafone support about this!

Good luck. This is a reply from the very helpful Vodafone.

Dear Mr X

Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our
    apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

We have checked your January bill and see that you used 39 mbytes of
    data for this month. Your December invoice had
    90 mbytes of usage. As you had no data add on at this time you would
    have been charged per usage. These charges are valid.
    We see that you have data add ons now so you will see a significant
    different in your bills from now on as these add ons have
    provided to be very cost effective.

We have a dedicated Data Support Team who are available to take any
    queries regarding usage problems. If you wish to call them
    on CallSave 1850287000 they will be happy to assist you regarding
    your timing out issue and any other issues relating to using this
    service.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

If you have any further queries, please call us on FreeFone 1907 and
    we will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

What phone do you use? (I must have missed that bit IF you mentioned it)
    considered a dual-sim? Pop in a rtg-sim for internet (50mb for 99c isn't bad and you avoid nasty surprises) and the bill pay sim for calls'n'texts... Or jus go rtg - one way or another the networks all hook you with those contracts! But that's just my scepticism talking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Hi,

I bought a nokia n95 8GB over the weekend, great phone, & i subscribed to vodafone's 500mb monthly useage. Does the use of the sat nav come under this tarriff or do i get charged extra? also do i get charged for downloading stuff through my home WIFI?

The reason I'm asking is because vodafones t & a aren't very clear so i wanna make sure.

Thanks

make sure that you're using the live access point and not the isp one because that 500mb deal is only valid on the live access point. but i don't know if the sat nav works on the live access point. some things don't because it blocks a lot of ports

of course, the sat nav doesn't have to use the network at all. using the network just helps it get a signal faster (its called a-GPS or assisted GPS)

you don't get charged for using wifi

yeah i think i had the a-GPS set to vodafone live. was testing it out yesterday. drove from Laois to Slane via the motorway & came home using the sat nav shortest route planner. very good. cut 30mins off my journey. do you know how much the voice navigations costs? i think i only have a 3day trail or something

i believe its €60 for 3 years but i can't remember where i heard that figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Is it possible?

I am using Three at the moment with a broadband add on and it works fine for occasional surfing on my notebook.

I am tempted by the 8GB N95 and the data allowance is double Three's for the same price.

Also, any issues with POP mail on Vodafone?

Thanks!

i hate to recommend 3 but before you switch, go into my 3 and look at their new add ons:

10 for 1gb a month

and they have new add ons that are meant to be used with a computer:

5 for 500mb in a day
    10 for 2gb in a week
    25 for 10gb in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

vodafones mobile internet is just web browsing. you can use it (set your browser to use the live proxy) and it does work, to an extent, but, no POP3 or IMAP email.

There may be a way around that using OpenVPN. You can run it over HTTPS proxy, which, in theory, may work with vodafone's proxy. I have 90% of the system implimented, but i have never gotten a full chance to check it out. if i do, i will post my findings.

I heard its 70 quid. I haew a 6110 navigator that has route 66. because i dont have the phone stuck in the window of my truck i have to have a-gps turned on to get a sat lock so i wouldnt be using that often. it acessed 5 times while driving from cork to tralee at a cost of like 4 cents each time over vodafone.isp i belive you might be able to "find" a copy of garmin mobile on the internet thats way better than nokia maps for your n95

Rang vodafone., Got them to knock the 65 quid off the bill on account of me being hooked up to vodafone.isp instead of the "live" AP while browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

jessconr wrote: »
    i think i only have a 3day trail or something

Are your sure?
    I got a 12 month code with my phone

• Advertisement

i'm 100% positive but i think it said i have a 3day trial when i started the navigator first also i didnt see any code in my packaging. was your phone an upgrade or where id you but it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

I've just sent this to care@vodafone.ie. I will await their reply with baited breath. (this hobbled live.vodafone.com business is stupid);

Hello

I just purchased a Nokia N95 from vodafone and am very happy with it. I also purchased the €10 p/m data add on, intending to use my handset as a modem for my laptop when out and about.

However, I now discover that only the live.vodafone.com APN applies to the data plan and this is a restricted service that does not allow the handset to be used in this way (along with other severe restrictions via port blocking on the handset)

I can implement the isp.vodafone.ie APN and this works just as I wish (full internet access from laptop via handset, POP mail on handset etc.) but traffic here does not get charged under my data plan, but rather I'm charged an extortionate 2c per k/b.

I'm very disappointed with this fee structure. Ideally, I'd like to see isp.vodafone.ie traffic apply under my data plan. Is there any chance of this happening? (I'll be canceling the add-on otherwise as it's useless to me).

Help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

only problem with that i can see if your only dropping their 10EUR a month contract. what we should be doing is getting everyone who is pissed off with this service to tell vodafone where they can shove their contract and see if that lights a fire under them... 500mb of web only data is pretty crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 glimmerman54

im in bad position at the moment i also signed up for the €10 data plan so i could use my n95 as modem for my laptop, plan but what vodafone neglected to tell me was the plan doesn't come into effect until my next bill which is the end of the month, i was using it a lot friday and saturday this weekend about 60mb of data which if its charged at 2c per kb i would be looking at a bill for around €1200 which for which ill die the highest bill i ever had till now was €52
    i rang customer care who informed me that i will be charged 99c for first 50mb and €5 per mb their after but ill have to wait until monday or tuesday to be 100% ill repost though when i find out for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i was able to use opera mini on the live apn

yep, and opera mini 4.1 beta lets you open web based emails AND their attachments! Using live! - so much cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

How much is 50 MB?? How long could you last on 50 mb for doing things like checking Yahoo! Mail, or browsing YouTube. I'm thinking of getting ReadytoGo Vodafone but don't want to get ripped off for internet usage. Is the 99c reasonable?? Thanks. Also, does the Mobile Internet they advertise (Youtube, Google, etc.) available in 2.5 G or just 3G areas?

Does Opera Mini work on Sony Ericsson V630i Prepay? Is it really free?

Advertisement