Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metrosexual?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Today I spent 7 hours shopping in the city centre(ilac/henry street/grafton street) because I needed a fancy new suit. So I was wandering into places like Best, Topman, Next, Footlocker, Arnotts, M&S, H&M etc and I noticed that for the younger male out there, it seems to be all blatantly metro clothes.

Skinny jeans/trousers, vans(or knock offs, cant tell), really girly faux leather belts with rhinestones and crap, horizontal striped too-tight jumpers in pale pastel colours, horrible baggy woolen hats.

Am I just being a fashion relic thinking this is metro and ugly as sin? I even seen a couple of guys with these clothes toting MANBAGS!

Although I did end up sitting beside a gorgeous girl on the bus in baggy cheqeured trousers, old runners with a red overcoat, seeing someone who still had their individual style helped restore my faith a little :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I don't have a Man Bag but I might need to get one soon. Neither my flashy coat or slacks had any pockets in them so I was in phone-wallet-keys-pen purgatory all day.

Why don't my clothes have pockets? Last time I checked, men still had possessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tragedy wrote: »
    Today I spent 7 hours shopping in the city centre(ilac/henry street/grafton street) because I needed a fancy new suit. So I was wandering into places like Best, Topman, Next, Footlocker, Arnotts, M&S, H&M etc and I noticed that for the younger male out there, it seems to be all blatantly metro clothes.

Skinny jeans/trousers, vans(or knock offs, cant tell), really girly faux leather belts with rhinestones and crap, horizontal striped too-tight jumpers in pale pastel colours, horrible baggy woolen hats.

Am I just being a fashion relic thinking this is metro and ugly as sin? I even seen a couple of guys with these clothes toting MANBAGS!

Although I did end up sitting beside a gorgeous girl on the bus in baggy cheqeured trousers, old runners with a red overcoat, seeing someone who still had their individual style helped restore my faith a little :D

http://seniors-site.com/coping/old_age.html

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

I see you tried M&S? Surely their stuff is NOT "new-age" / skinny fit, modern / trendy. Just a more classic fit I would expect. What budget do you have in mind? Is it a "work" suit or more of a "fashion" suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Were you in a coma for 10 years? How can someone post a smug thread on a fashion board hating every single current trend for men at the moment? Make yourself a gigantic Yorkie wrapper and strut your manly stuff down Grafton St instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Were you in a coma for 10 years? How can someone post a smug thread on a fashion board hating every single current trend for men at the moment? Make yourself a gigantic Yorkie wrapper and strut your manly stuff down Grafton St instead :D

Bit Harsh? I'm in agreement wit the OP - I dont like current male trends on high street - skinny jeans and pastel colours? Try to remember that not everyone follows "current" trends. It is still possible to find decent fitting clothes that dont look as though they've been transported from the 80's! Just takes a bit of searching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In fairness shops you were in are catering to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Fully agree with the OP. Mens fashion is becoming like womens. It changes continually and is more extreme. It means men will look as ridiculous as women in photos (you know, looking at photos from 3-4 years ago:D).
    If you want to spend alot check out Polo and Armani stuff, but for everyday clothes Next is worth a look. It's well made and good value and they tend towards fairly subdued colours and classic cut compared to the likes of Topman. I know you listed it, but surely it's nowhere near the worst?
    I stick to brown, black, blue and khaki and maybe a patterned shirt, but nothing ott. All comfy but not baggy. I was wearing the same sort of stuff five years ago, and expect to wear the same sort of stuff for the forseeable. I wouldn't even contemplate some of the kak on sale these days. There's a fine line between being a slave to new trends and looking a twat. Style is a million miles from trendy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I picked up a lovely dark grey wool suit in Diffneys, expensive but very nice(M&S had nice and reasonable suits for around €130 too for anyone out there looking, but you have to look hard as they hide them on henry street)

I also dont think this fasion has been around 10 years has it? When i was in secondary school it was mostly jeans/tracksuits, t-shirt and hoodies - skaters were a little different but not much and emos and goths were into big boots, piercings and dark clothes. None of this stuff

I'm 23 for what its worth, usually stick to khakis/jeans/trousers with a nice t-shirt & long sleeved shirt. I could probably pull off skinny jeans(Cycling 10miles a day does that to you) but the look of it on guys makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

il gatto wrote: »
    Mens fashion is becoming like womens. It changes continually and is more extreme.

Nah it's nothing like womens, if I saw a girl dressed like some blokes today, I'd think she was an escaped mental patient or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Nah it's nothing like womens, if I saw a girl dressed like some blokes today, I'd think she was an escaped mental patient or something.

That's probably true alright. It'd be so sparkly, multicoloured and tight fitting, no right thinking woman would wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 michaelgriffin8

i must say that i really hate topman...its like its trying too hard or something and the jeans are always ott with rips, tears, designs, studs, extra pockets, all this crazy stuff like. i like specific things, plain jeans but quirky runners, t-shirts with interesting graphics but always in black, navy, dark green or grey, i cant stand pastel colors, especially yellow. i like hoodies with interesting designs but always with a good shape to them, i.e. not too light. i always get a good plain jacket to go with everything. i think its about balance, taking some of the advice metrosexuality has to offer but leaving the diamond ear studs and baby pink t-shirts to the david beckham wannabees of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

While shopping with my boyfriend a few months back (and for him recently) I noticed the exact same thing. Topman is by far the worst but H&M are a close second. I don't know why River Island even bother calling their section men's wear. It's nothing but funky hats, skinny jeans, shiny belts and thin ties with horrible shirts. Am only aware of few men who actually dress like this so can't figure out why these places don't cater for the majority. Plus, what happened to big, beefy, manly men??? Most of the jeans would barely have fit me (and I'm a ten), and the jumpers were tiny. Very difficult to buy for a guy built like a rugby player unless you wanna buy sports wear :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Tragedy wrote: »

next is just about the least metro shop there is man, not a skinny jean in sight

edit: search harder

yeah but next isnt that nice, i dont think the quality is that good, it reminds me of pennys which does good enough stuff for girls but like...have u seen the mens stuff, its so bad like. next is where 40 year old men shop, no offence to anypne obv:)

i really like pull and bear but they arent in cork anymore

Actually, that was just a list of every shop I popped into, didnt mean to say every one of them was catering exclusively for biqueermetros :)

cool cool ...biqueermetros...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

oh yea, their casual stuff is pooey

good quality, just doesnt look nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You tried Footlocker for a new suit?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yeah but next isnt that nice, i dont think the quality is that good, it reminds me of pennys which does good enough stuff for girls but like...have u seen the mens stuff, its so bad like. next is where 40 year old men shop, no offence to anypne obv:)

i really like pull and bear but they arent in cork anymore

they are how ever in the killarney outlet place,you can drive down some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

pookie82 wrote: »
    While shopping with my boyfriend a few months back (and for him recently) I noticed the exact same thing. Topman is by far the worst but H&M are a close second. I don't know why River Island even bother calling their section men's wear. It's nothing but funky hats, skinny jeans, shiny belts and thin ties with horrible shirts. Am only aware of few men who actually dress like this so can't figure out why these places don't cater for the majority. Plus, what happened to big, beefy, manly men??? Most of the jeans would barely have fit me (and I'm a ten), and the jumpers were tiny. Very difficult to buy for a guy built like a rugby player unless you wanna buy sports wear :-(

you're damn right! as soon as i walked into to topman the last day all i saw were really small tshirts marked M and L!!!:eek: Im an M or L size but no way in hell am i gonna wear a tshirt that actually only covers a bit of my shoulders because the sleaves are extremely short!...

i think clothes have definately gotten tighter(in their fits i mean)...either that or i gained a s**t loada weight...:p

this world is getting way to metro for MY taste(emphasised "my" for all those who get a tad offeneded;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Yeah have to say I'm not huge fan of men in overtly metrosexual clothes - leave it to the trainee hairdressers :D I think what you're looking for is classic, well cut, good quality. Think Jude Law, Daniel Craig. Maybe try Reiss for dressy stuff, BT2 for casual or Next as mentioned before if your on a budget.

All else fails - get shopping on-line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

mens clothes today are horrible they all look very poetic and apathetic if dressed head to toe in the fashion. a mix and match with new and old is ok though. op you were looking in shops however that move with the trends so maybe try somewhere less commercial. pull in bear is coming back to cork soon in that new development across from where the bodega was/is.

Have to say I agree.

I'm not overweight, but I picked up some large black t-shirts (without trying them on) in Zara recently. Unless I'm going on the game, they're not going to be much use to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

'Metrosexual' is a term created by men for other men, when they feel that a man doesn't fit the 'masculine' image as portrayed by society.

If you're uncomfortable with your masculinity why not order a John Wayne outfit on ebay? Show 'em all what you're made of. /rolls eyes.

Maybe steer clear of the 'trendy' shops at the moment til the skinny jeans/pastel striped top thing passes.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    '

why not order a John Wayne outfit on ebay? Show 'em all what you're made of. /rolls eyes.

To be honest, I couldn't think of anything camper. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

He is one of the traditional "manly" men, but I agree with you there :D

Uhh, my female friends use the term Metrosexual just as much as any guys I know, unless they all secretly want to be transgenders I think your amateur psychology isnt really up to scratch Rozabeez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Try Ted Baker for a suit.

Advertisement