Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

student-job?

• 29-01-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

1st year student in college

would there be any jobs i could look for in the summer?

im not bothered what it is - looking for a bit of money (experience wont be harmful aswel)

or as a ''tour guide'' or anything like that - also doin history

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

conor2007 wrote: »
    1st year student in college

would there be any jobs i could look for in the summer?

im not bothered what it is - looking for a bit of money (experience wont be harmful aswel)

or as a ''tour guide'' or anything like that - also doin history

cheers

Hey Conor,

Work is kinda quiet right now in archaeology circles and is supposed to stay like that for the year but you never know. Your best bet is to get hold of archaeology Ireland magazine (Easons, etc, your college library also should have copies) and email all the companies in it a copy of your cv, you could email it now so they have it on file and then in May or so when you're ready to start work email it again.

-List clearly your experience if any, are you good at technical drawing, photography, experience in logistics etc? They mightn't have work on site but they might need someone to co-ordinate the project, collect rubbish, deliver supplies etc. Sounds ****ty but very important and a foot in the door.
    -When you are available
    -If you have your own transport (this is a big plus as most sites are rural based)
    -Where in the country you can work, again be as flexible as possible. You might have to do 2 weeks in Donegal but can then move to a new site closer to home. I usually say based in X but willing to travel 2 hours radius, or something like that. Of course as work dries up I'll just have to move completely to get a job.
    -They're not really interested in what you're studying in college or your personal archaeological interests are so a one line. I am in the first year of a 3year degree programme in UCD or whatever will suffice.

If you can't find contact details, pm me and I'll forward them on to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The most important thing to have though is a FÁS Safe Pass!!! You will not get on a dig without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You could ask in the school for volunteer placement. Experience is more valuable than cash

boneless wrote: »
    The most important thing to have though is a FÁS Safe Pass!!! You will not get on a dig without one.

Opps, sorry forgot about this, you can't get a job onsite without one so think of it as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

mm

cheers all - your after putting me off saying work has dried up - in the long term careers= that is

ye - im aware that you have to start somewhere so collecting rubbish etc etc is grand

• Advertisement

conor2007 wrote: »
    mm

cheers all - your after putting me off saying work has dried up - in the long term careers= that is

ye - im aware that you have to start somewhere so collecting rubbish etc etc is grand

Sorry, didn't mean to put you off. It's quiet this year (only 3 nra jobs I heard on the grapevine) but there's lots of EIA's going on so there'll be lots of work next year. You can't second guess any career's prospects when you still have at least 2 years to go in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

i know that ^ lol

just saying - always jobs in teaching - but im not making any decisions yet

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

UCD Archaeological Society are running a safepass course the first Monday of the March break if your pushed.

G

archaeology.soc@gmail.com to be put on the mailing list

The National Museum are looking for tour guides, cv has to be in by feb 15th, might be worth looking in to. www.museum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

if you're really bothered, Wessex Arch do lots of digs over the summer and hire alot of people. They might be worth a look in if you want to go over to England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

Meathlass wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't mean to put you off. It's quiet this year (only 3 nra jobs I heard on the grapevine) but there's lots of EIA's going on so there'll be lots of work next year. You can't second guess any career's prospects when you still have at least 2 years to go in college.

hello , hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in to yer conversation :p but i too am looking for work in archaeology .....care to share your info Meathlas??? how come i have no grapevines to tell me anything !! hehe....i got a few months experience with VJK a few summers ago , they took me on with no experience atall ..i learned alot and had a great time , best job ive ever had to be honest eventhough pay was crap but money's not everything ...well i say that now but i guess when i need to buy a house and feed kids i'll think differently...anywho enough rambling, i tried for work this summer as i had just completed my BA in archaeology but all the big companies said they were full so i had to get a job quickly to pay bills etc so i'm out of the loop, but desperately ,after working in a normal job :( want to get back out and excavate .....there really seems to be very little work around....

Red_Star wrote: »
    hello , hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in to yer conversation :p but i too am looking for work in archaeology .....care to share your info Meathlas??? how come i have no grapevines to tell me anything !! hehe....i got a few months experience with VJK a few summers ago , they took me on with no experience atall ..i learned alot and had a great time , best job ive ever had to be honest eventhough pay was crap but money's not everything ...well i say that now but i guess when i need to buy a house and feed kids i'll think differently...anywho enough rambling, i tried for work this summer as i had just completed my BA in archaeology but all the big companies said they were full so i had to get a job quickly to pay bills etc so i'm out of the loop, but desperately ,after working in a normal job :( want to get back out and excavate .....there really seems to be very little work around....

Yeah, it's very quiet. I'm supervising (in post-ex) at moment and we're finishing in April. No word of any more work within the company but will worry about it when I get my P45. I'll try and put up a list of companies and phone numbers later on today if I get a chance. No company would even know what staff they need in the summer so it's kinda pointless sending in cv's in February.

Sorry just read that, you were looking for work last summer. When I finished my Master's I did a runner to Australia, when I came back I was seriously out of the loop and I'd only had 3 months work experience so wasn't in a good position. I put in my cv, called them every 2 days or so and after a week, they rang with a week's work in Mullinger. At the time I was living in Tipp with no car so I got the bus up and stayed in a b and b for the week so I didn't actually make much money that week but I had my foot in the door and haven't been out of work since. I know thought that it would be hard to leave a job just for a week's work with no guarantee of anything else afterwards. I suppose I'm trying to say that you have to emphaise your flexibility to the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

Thanks Meathlass, I guess this summer i should send in my CV's probably early April....missed out on a job with Headland in Carlow this summer gone cause i didnt send in Cv until mid may , but i was stressing with exams then but now i'm a free spirit and dont care about leaving what work im in at the moment at the drop of a hat ...anywho thanks again...:)

Advertisement