Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split Level Pros and Cons

Options
  • 29-01-2008 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We may have no option but to build a split level due to planning and site conditions in the rural area.......As over the past year we had planned to build a two storey 4 BR house incl K and Living Room, Kitchen and dining room, office and large utility and conservatory.....so we look like to incorporate same into a split level...

Has anyone built a split level and how did they go about layout....heating is also v important!!! Just trying to get ideas...... stressss!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much of a level change are we talking. I imagine a 300 split is easier than a 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iei044775

TazMc, I've just finished building a 2 storey split level house very similar to what you have described, it worked out much better than a straightforward 2 storey house and the council approved it no problem because it blended into the landscape better. All my bedrooms are on the lower ground floor, all living areas on the upper ground floor. The best investment you'll make is a good architect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

iei044775 wrote: »
    . The best investment you'll make is a good architect.

absolutely 100% agree . get the trained eye to get this right ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

Be aware that building split level also has a knock-on effect on your build costs.
    Depending on what levels have been agreed on your plans, there may be more excavation involved for a split level, more spoil to muck away and more plant costs.
    Split level will have more deadwork (blocks and labour) and likely more concrete then a single level dwelling of the same area.
    Tanking is required at the change in level to avoid water penetration.
    And generally throughout the build the split level will always incur slightly higher costs.
    At the end landscaping around the split level will invariably involve retaining walls and other costs due to dealing with different levels.
    Not trying to be too negative, just be aware of the additional cost of going split level. However the end result was in my opinion very worth it...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

theres not a significant difference in cost in depths when building split levels... therefore if you are going to split it allow for as large as you want....
    ie its relatively more expensive to split by 300mm than it is by 1000mm...

the main advantage of a larger split is the design and aesthetic options available...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

I am currently building a split level house
    I also have my bedroom dowstairs and my kitchen and living room upstair

One thing I had to do was build a retain which cost a bit of money
    There is a more digging and earth to worry about. but everything else is similar to building a two house

Advertisement