Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss Army Knives = Firearm?

Options
  • 29-01-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Is it illegal to walk around with like a swiss army knife/penknife yoke? Only I heard someone got arrested for possesion of a firearm and it was a swiss army knife:confused:

And yeah this may not be the right forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I've carried one for several years, I use about 70 % of the tools in a week.
    I'd hate to think it's illegal to carry one.
    I know someone with a spring loaded knife got done, but that's not exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

AFAIK You can pretty much be arrested for possesion of anything as a weapon, you have to have to have "good cause" or "good reason" to be carrying the item(for use in work etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

nope

i got stopped on friday on the quays and i had one - guard said nothing

he stopped me for ''misuse of drugs act'' bollix - wanker annoyed me a lot'

anyway - obviously he found nothing as i had nothing - the only illegal item i had was what i thought the knife - but he said nothing
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

conor2007 wrote: »
    nope

i got stopped on friday on the quays and i had one - guard said nothing

he stopped me for ''misuse of drugs act'' bollix - wanker annoyed me a lot'

anyway - obviously he found nothing as i had nothing - the only illegal item i had was what i thought the knife - but he said nothing
    :D

God you must not have been looking your best to be stopped along the quays under the misuse of drugs act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I dont know how the law stands now.But I think it has something to do ith the lenght of the blade. Anything over 6 in isclassed as concelled weapon. I know someone who got done for carring a concelled weapon. They got caught with a sissors in there pocket. I also think flick knifes are or were Illegal.

• Advertisement

thats some of the legislation there, like i said any blade in a public place can be deemed an offence. Theres other legislation too but i cant find it. It includes lists of other banned weapons including a "death star" :D

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0009.html#zza12y1990s9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

it's 3 inches. I think it allows for multitools like swiss army knives. That said, if the guard wants to make your life miserable, he doesn't have to go very far to do so.

As regards scissors, they make a vicious weapon.

*sigh* reading the christing article boys

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

[GA] (2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

[GA] (3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

**** em - What if I want to buy a bread knife and I happen to get stopped on the street. I'm sure a pen knife is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Bambi wrote: »

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

[GA] (2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

[GA] (3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

If you have good reason to have the scissors etc. its admissable as a defence, but flick knives are indeed banned in part 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

I'm an art student and at any given time could have a couple of stanley knives/craft knives in my bag...is that an offence??? I remember when my brother was a chef, he got stopped and the gardai went mental cos he had a meat cleaver in his bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Lump wrote: »
    **** em - What if I want to buy a bread knife and I happen to get stopped on the street. I'm sure a pen knife is fine.

Common sense applies to this legislation. Carrying a fishing knife while sitting at a river bank in public sight while holding a fishing rod is legal. Walking into a nightclub with the same knife is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Conor108 wrote: »
    Is it illegal to walk around with like a swiss army knife/penknife yoke? Only I heard someone got arrested for possesion of a firearm and it was a swiss army knife:confused:

And yeah this may not be the right forum

Ive heard of people being arrested for firearms offenses for having automatic knives. Switchblades and that kind of thing. As theyre illegal to own as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

dsmythy wrote: »
    God you must not have been looking your best to be stopped along the quays under the misuse of drugs act!

Ha yeah get a t shirt that says "I don't actually take drugs by the way"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

starn wrote: »
    Anything over 6 in isclassed as concelled weapon.

It sure is :)

Depends on the Garda though.
    A mate of mine got nabbed for having a swiss army knife a few years ago.
    He was walking home from fishing, complete with fishing rod, hooks, bait box
    and even a fish, but the Garda said he shouldn't be carrying the knife when
    he wasnt actually fishing!!

There was a bit of history between my mate and that particular cop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Its mad really. I can wander around with a hurley or a lump hammer no bothers, but try carrying around a small blade and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Bambi wrote: »

To the letter of the law this also include a pencil sharpener since it has a blade...

And also 99% of good bought in retail stores due to the security tag contanting a metal blade in them {if you don't believe me open one up and have a look for yourself}.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Its mad really. I can wander around with a hurley or a lump hammer no bothers, but try carrying around a small blade and see what happens.

actually no, that's covered too,
    (4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or

( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If [SIZE=-1]MacGyver had it, coupled with some chewing gum and a paperclip, then yes.
    [/SIZE]

foinse wrote: »

That only applies if it's made specifically for the purpose of doing harm or adapted for such, which doesn't fit. Being capable of being used for something and being made to do it are two different things. It's semantics really, but that's how it would go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

That only applies if it's made specifically for the purpose of doing harm or adapted for such, which doesn't fit. Being capable of being used for something and being made to do it are two different things. It's semantics really, but that's how it would go.

No when your talking about "tools", there is alot of case of security software tools that were created for testing system and are not label as "Hacking" tools and will get you arrested in Germany or the UK now.

Didn't know that, but either way, this is Irish law here, and how's interpreted. There's the commonsense part, about not having something you don't have an explanation for, there's the fact that if the guards want to make your life more interesting, they will do it anyway, and there's the fact that if you can interpret the law absolutely literally, it shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway unless you're some fiendish scumbag. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

foinse wrote: »
    Eh maybe I'm on me way to a hurling practice or working on the extension in the house. Neither a lump hammer or a hurley are specifically adapted to cause harm. You can do a fair bit of damage with a boot if you should feel the need. Next they'll be banning fists and bags above a certain weight. Sigh.

Still, I prefer Ireland to places like Texas, although the Swiss are all very heavily armed (IG Strumgeweher (assault rifle) model 1990 (Stgw 90), a selective fire, fully automatic 5.6 mm rifle with folding skeleton stock in every home) and they seem to get by alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    To the letter of the law this also include a pencil sharpener since it has a blade...

And also 99% of good bought in retail stores due to the security tag contanting a metal blade in them {if you don't believe me open one up and have a look for yourself}.......

what?!!! They don't have blades in them...I've worked in numerous shops and have taken apart many security tags, they don't contain blades,by any definition of the word. The have a pin, and some ball bearings,some plastic and rubber, only mcguiver could make a weapon from one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

A firearm has to shoot out projectiles so it would be pretty stupid for the Gards to called a knife a firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

no , was just sitting on the quays readin the paper waitin for a friend

ive got awful talking to by the guards for a hurl being carried by me

the knife , was o problem , shows how smart the gardai are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

(4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or

( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

Oh Noes you mean I can't carry a paper clip or a thumb tack, pen/pencil, nail file on me ?

if you have lawful authority or reasonable excuse to do so, you're in the clear :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Conor108 wrote: »
    Only I heard someone got arrested for possesion of a firearm and it was a swiss army knife:confused:

This is the definition of a firearm. A knife, as per say, is not a firearm. You were misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Basically it comes down to context. If they stop you and you're carrying an object that could be used as a weapon, they will have to decide whether it actually is a weapon or not.

To do this they'll question you as to whether or not you have a lawful reason for carrying the object. An artist or carpenter going about their business with a stanley knife would be fine. A scumbag carrying one in a nightclub at 2am would be in trouble.

Advertisement