Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University

Options
  • 29-01-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just looking at the courses on offer from this uni and there is one or 2 i'd be interested in doing... BUT I don't know very much about this uni... i.e are the courses recognised everywhere?

So if anyone has done one of these courses, could you just fill me in a bit on what they are like, and if they are recognised...

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

catyb20 wrote: »
    Hey,

I was just looking at the courses on offer from this uni and there is one or 2 i'd be interested in doing... BUT I don't know very much about this uni... i.e are the courses recognised everywhere?

So if anyone has done one of these courses, could you just fill me in a bit on what they are like, and if they are recognised...

Much appreciated

What kind of course are you thinking about doing? I'm in my first year with OU this year doing a Maths degree (well that's the plan anyway). I'm a teacher so I checked on the Teaching Council website first to see if my degree will be recognised by them which it is, but not all of the degrees are.

Maybe if you could give more specifics about the course and someone might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Course wise, I'm enjoying it, the materials are of good quality and the tutors are extremely helpful.

If you are planning on doing a BSc it is also eligible for tax relief from Revenue which helps when the fees are so expensive and due to go up again for the next academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

Thank you for the reply,

Em... i'm undecided really, I'm thinking on either the business administration masters degree or Human Resource Management msc.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Recognition is the same as a degree from any other UK university.

Support is generally good to excellent, as are the materials. You'll find lots of general info on trhe OU and peoples opinions in the Distance/part-time education forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=433

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Iorana

And what about the exams? Do I have to travel abroad to take them or do I do it through online based tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Iorana wrote: »
    And what about the exams? Do I have to travel abroad to take them or do I do it through online based tests?

No you do them in Ireland, I'm doing mine in Galway in October

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Considered OU for half a second before realising how expensive they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ronn90

catyb20 wrote: »
    Hey,

Much appreciated
    Hey there I thought I would throw my two cents in. I can't answer your specific questions with regard to OU and the recognition of a masters. I can tell you about my experiences with the OU. I did 4 undergrad courses with them and yes they are expensive but the courses are very well organised and supported. My courses were Maths/Physics based and I did summer schools in the UK. I found the courses very enjoyable and there was lots of support. I didn't finish my degree with them as I went full time here in Ireland. Sorry I didn't finish it with them though and stay working. I have a BSc MSc and I'm two years into my PhD and I haven't been able to generate one interview in 6 months (all science) Gov paying lip service, no investment. Good luck with your studies

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Iorana

smcgiff wrote: »
    Considered OU for half a second before realising how expensive they are.

But it's still ok cos you can stay in work as it's home based course so you are earning money to support yourself.
    I am non-national here, have a baby and do full-time work so I would be able to go to any college having have to pay for childcare during both work time and course time (if it's even part-time evening course).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i believe that you can use your tesco club card points to pay for an OU course - you even get a double point bonus!

Advertisement