Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GARMIN 250 SAT NAV Question

Options
  • 29-01-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi every one

Got a sat nav for xmas and very happy with it. Was just wondering about one thing?
    I’m in Rochfortbridge Co Westmeath, and I was going to kinnegad. Rochfortbridge is now bypass. but The sat nav still keep’s giving the old n6 road and not the new n6 road, when I got on the m4 in Kinnegad. it was fine why is this.

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks every one

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sounds like an old map,how new is the road...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

id say its open about a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Sounds like an old map,how new is the road...?

Agree. OP, which version, V9 or 2008?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

i got it for xmas its version, V9 map

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

keitht wrote: »
    i got it for xmas its version, V9 map

V9 might be your problem, this is what it looks like with the 2008 maps... M4 clearly visible. Not familiar with the locality but you can compare with what's on your sat nav.

M4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

keitht wrote: »
    Hi every one

Got a sat nav for xmas and very happy with it. Was just wondering about one thing?
    I’m in Rochfortbridge Co Westmeath, and I was going to kinnegad. Rochfortbridge is now bypass. but The sat nav still keep’s giving the old n6 road and not the new n6 road, when I got on the m4 in Kinnegad. it was fine why is this.

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks every one

Similar story here, got a 250 over Christmas, was driving from Athlone
    to Dublin at the weekend. Got on the motorway at Kilbeggan and the
    little voice kept telling me to turn back.

Map showed the N6 ... a field ... and then my car :D
    Got as far as Kinnegad part of the motorway and all was fine

My Map is V9, hoping to get a free update but I botched my registration
    and the unit is now registered to an account I cant access or verify on
    account of an invalid email.

Contacvted Garmin but they cant seem to change it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

It's a shame they can't release individual updates when they get major roads finished. For example only part of the R136 (Outer Ring Rd) in Dublin is on my sat nav. For the rest of it it thinks I am driving through a field and into a canal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm from Athlone and have V9 maps so when a friend got a 710 for Christmas I asked him to check the map version and when he said it was 2008 I checked the N6 and on that version the N6 runs west as far as Tyrellspass which reflects the situation up to the middle of 2007, as you guys said it now gores as far as Kilbeggan.

We have to recognise that there are literally thousands of changes in each upgrade and they probably observe a cutoff date for new versions. I agree that it would be handy if you could download small incremenmtal upgrades but Garmin obviously feel that this would be too much hassle so they just launch a complete new version every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's also a shame that they don't support 'self-updating'. i.e. adding your own roads to the maps.. When you think of it, the mapping is only being made available in February (for updaters), is already around 8 months old, and they'll be freezing the latest maps in four months time, you realize what a small window of opportunity you have to have up-to-date maps!

There have been some open-source mapping projects in recent years, but none have really progressed to a point of being a viable alternative.

Advertisement