Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Plans for iPhone (I checked other thread)

Options
  • 29-01-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Please advice. I did try and read through the entire 157 pages on the iPhone thread but didn't find the exact answer.

OK so my iPhone is going grand but of course I'm stuck paying exorbitant data prices on Vodafone as it can not access the live.vodafone.com apn for edge.

So basically a question.

I am thinking of switching to O2. They offer a unlimited DATA plan for blackberry style devices for €20. Speaking to them they tell me they can not guarantee it will work with the iPhone (obviously) but as long as you use the correct APN then it should be grand.

The APN they use is APN: wap.dol.ie Username & Password: gprs

So a basic question of affirmation from someone out there using the device.

Are you using those settings and if so.... does it work

I tried with a speak easy sim-card but could not get it to work, I believe you may need to be on contract to access that APN.

Thank you for your assistance and consideration.

Mods.. Like I say I did use the search feature and tried reading through that huge thread but at this stage it has become a bit of a monster, so please do not close this thread. Regards. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

The settings on my iphone under edge settings is wap.dol.ie username wap password wap, it works fine, as far as i know they iwll only give you the blackberry package if you have a blackberry, at least thats what i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

just tell them you're using a blackberry. its €20 ex vat btw. you can return the contract within 14 days of purchase if it doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor also launched a new add on today. Basically, you can go on Talk 60 or higher and get a 250meg data add on for 9.99 per month. I have the iPhone and I've used 468MB since 8th November, which is less than 250 a month and I'm a heavy user.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

Thanks guys that really helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

chrislad wrote: »
    Meteor also launched a new add on today. Basically, you can go on Talk 60 or higher and get a 250meg data add on for 9.99 per month. I have the iPhone and I've used 468MB since 8th November, which is less than 250 a month and I'm a heavy user.

what settings did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

What are the settings for vodafone? I tried isp.vodafone.ie but dont have password/ user name.
    Found them - live.vodafone.com, username dublin, password dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Pataman wrote: »
    What are the settings for vodafone? I tried isp.vodafone.ie but dont have password/ user name.
    Found them - live.vodafone.com, username dublin, password dublin

If you use isp.vodafone.ie, use "vodafone" as username and password

For live.vodafone.com use "dublin" as username and password, however this provides access to the web via proxy so you will have to modify your iPhone to use it, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54941673

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

dmn wrote: »
    what settings did you use?

APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp

You may need to get them to enable it on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

which is the vodafone one that is covered by their add on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭v10

iBoards wrote: »
    OK so my iPhone is going grand but of course I'm stuck paying exorbitant data prices on Vodafone as it can not access the live.vodafone.com apn for edge.
    I'm using the live.vodafone.com apn on my iPhone .. paying €9.99 per month. Albeit it's restricted to web browsing only so doesn't allow access to gmail imap service. I just download my mails whenever I have wifi access or if I'm stuck I just access gmail.com from the browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

A guy I know has a Blackberry and now has an Iphone.

He wants to know is there anyway he can configure the Iphone to
    receive email like the Blackberry.

Anyone know the current Vodafone "Edge" settings I have
    live.vodafone.ie and .com with user dublin pass dublin can anyone
    confirm.?

Eddie

I have gone from a blackberry to the iphone also. The iphone can be set to check your email every 15 mins, is that enough? I believe there is a "push" email application for the iphone, it is in the installer somewhere

Do you use Edge or WiFi....

Pataman was it the "push mail" that you use to get the emails every 15 mins... are there any settings I need to know.?

Thanks

Eddie

Settings>mail>autocheck set ip to every 15 mins. I use edge and wifi. as far as I know it uses wifi and when no connection available it then uses edge. isp.vodafone.ie password and username vodafone

APN : isp.vodafone.ie
    User : vodafone
    Pass : vodafone

Just does not work for me...

so to sum up from the first point will a Blackberry package for 20 euro work on an iphone on o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

johnmryan wrote: »
    so to sum up from the first point will a Blackberry package for 20 euro work on an iphone on o2?

Would like to know this myself, I'd be tempted. Speeds any good? How is coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

the 30 euro add on looks like a good idea, considering they also have a 10 euro package for 10 MB LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Hm not bad, but 30 quid a month...

To be honest I'm seriously pissed off with O2's data options - Meteor are offering 250mb/month for a tenner a month! 250 would be more than enough for me.

I'm contemplating getting a dual sim chip thing and using my meteor chip for internet, and the O2 one for everything else.. O2 present themselves as the business customers friend, but from what I've seen of them the past month they seem to be just plain crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marvstrav

iBoards wrote: »
    Please advice. I did try and read through the entire 157 pages on the iPhone thread but didn't find the exact answer.

So basically a question.

I am thinking of switching to O2. They offer a unlimited DATA plan for blackberry style devices for €20. Speaking to them they tell me they can not guarantee it will work with the iPhone (obviously) but as long as you use the correct APN then it should be grand.

The APN they use is APN: wap.dol.ie Username & Password: gprs

So a basic question of affirmation from someone out there using the device.

Are you using those settings and if so.... does it work

I tried with a speak easy sim-card but could not get it to work, I believe you may need to be on contract to access that APN.

Thank you for your assistance and consideration.

Mods.. Like I say I did use the search feature and tried reading through that huge thread but at this stage it has become a bit of a monster, so please do not close this thread. Regards. :)

You can set up your iPhone with Vodafone live for €9.99 add on which give yous 500MB (upload and download added together).

It takes a little work and but it works perfectly for Safari, Google Maps, Weather, Stocks - no push email, but you can get your webmail through Safari.

Goto to this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239822&highlight=iPhone+%2Bdata+roaming

good luck,

Marv

Advertisement