Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting upstairs and a refurb

Options
  • 29-01-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hello all

My house is a timber frame with 150mm paper insulation. its heated by a heat pump. I now want to convert upstairs and upgrade the downstairs.

I am interested in putting in heat recovery ventilation and possibly increasing the insulation downstairs. Has anyone used external insulation I don’t want to reduce the room sizes? What is the cost per m2? Also has anyone used metal studs for partitions? i have just enough brains to be dangerous when doing this and don’t want to spend money when it is not good value.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,213 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

balrog, your construction make up is currently 'breathable' which is certainly a good thing for a wood based system. Any external insulation is currently in the form of 'non breathable' material ie PIR or PU.... it isnt compatible to use these two systems and may compromise your timber frame through the build up of hydroscopic moisture and condensation. plus i assume you have a cavity and blockwork finish... this cavity is vented so external insulation would be pretty much useless.
    If you are considering incorporating a HRV, i would definitely get an air tightness test done on the house. This will also give you an advisory report on how to increase the airtightness of the build. If you end up with a figure greater than 10 i wouldnt bother installing a HRV system. However if you get a favourable result then the HRV system alone should greatly increase your energy efficiency and your comfort levels. Retrofitting a HRV system may cost you anything between 4-10 K depending on you dwelling size.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Any external insulation is currently in the form of 'non breathable' material ie PIR or PU....
    There are breathable external insulations such as rockwool and paroc.
    But the comments regarding vented cavity still stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 balrog

So no matter what I do the extra insulation on the outside is a not a runner or is there some way around it ????. I am bit slow on the pick up. I hope to get the air testing done I have heard that you can improve your house a lot with a flexible filler once the cracks in the building have been found is this true or will I be spending big moneyto do thsi. I think the house is air tight the internal walls are doubled boarded with staggered joints. And given good results from the air tightness (what figure should
    I be aiming for HRV ? ) will this mean HRV improve my house as condensation in the bedrooms is present at the moment.

I am probably going to use the foam insulation upstairs up to 200mm and use some of that plastic to stop air ingression into the house to make up for the min insulation downstairs. Or is there some better method ???? Sorry for been a pain

Advertisement