Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you get a .eu webpage?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,
    i'm getting a webpage created for my part time business in Poland. The guy has is giving me a .eu page. how would you compare this to .com. ie .co.uk etc? or does it make any difference to someone searching my business across europe?
    thank you,
    Penny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Hi Penny. Personally i would be less inclined to visit a website with a .EU domain name. Reason being that (with the exception of very few that i have seen) many websites that i have seen or been linked to etc... seem to be very spurious and badly designed, almost as if its a yellow pack domain name if you will. Many of the actual domain addresses themselves also have been very spurious, with random characters and abbreviations which dont bode well with remembering them. That sort of thing puts me off straight away.

Having said that my initial impression f the website in the firt few seconds that i view it is key. If it looks professional I will stay, if not im outta there. So theres a design issue too. For me you could have the best website in the world but you would be minimising the chances of me even clicking on it by having a .EU domain. If it was a .COM or .NET i would be far more inclined to have a look.

If its a pricing thing it should be the same cost to get a .com, if not cheaper, and i think the audience you would reach would be far greater... I know the EU itself is great and all that but i dont think the love has spread as far as domain names just yet! Not for me anyway...

HTH.

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My simple rule of thumb: if your target customers are Irish go with .ie; if they are worldwide go with .com. Here's a post on choosing a domain I wrote last year (maybe needs to be revisited).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭penny1001

Thank you very much head and Trojan, so i should go with .com even if the exact name i would like is not available?
    My market is Europe, the guy doing my page seems sure of .eu and it makes no difference to him, i wonder why? i'm still unsure what to do.
    Penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mrlynam

Buy both, its only going to cost less than an extra $10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 altyfc

Trojan wrote: »
    My simple rule of thumb: if your target customers are Irish go with .ie; if they are worldwide go with .com.

I would go along with that. Or get both if you're not sure. I'm not convinced by .eu - I used to have an OK one, but I just let it lapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

The whole .eu domain release was a mess and I think the suffix has been discredited because of it. It seems that any domain which wasn't taken in the initial sunrise period was snapped up by squatters who bought the names in bulk. Stick with a .com if you can find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fcolor

.EU is fine... actually the best one for European based business after the general TLD. Of course country top level domain are also OK but i would suggest you to go for .EU. there is no big difference between domains in terms of Search engines. in theory couontry level domain would guarantee higher rank for reagional searches, but the content of the web pages is what counts. Not the name.

Advertisement