Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Shooting Clubs give newbie's a chance

Options
  • 28-01-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Dublin Target Sports Club

(Fee's)
    200 Membership - Join up 100 Euro - Insurance if you don’t have it ( 55 Euro )

We are interested in taken on new members, but what we don't want is people joining the club just to get their license. Maybe this is why a lot of the club’s fee's are high, if the fee is expensive you more likely to attend and get the value for your money.

We have an idea and we would like comments from boards.ie shooting forum members, ( to run a competition/draw through Boards.ie ) and to try to get other clubs to do the same to bring new blood into the sport.

We would give the winner one years free membership, pay the first years insurance and pay for their first Rifle or Pistol, but the winner would have to be a newbie, willing to be dedicated to the sport of Target Shooting and attend the range on a regular basis and get involved in club/ inter club competitions.

We do have a format in mind as to how this could be done that would include
    Boards Target shooting forum and Clubs.

If any of the groups mentioned above are interested in this idea please PM me.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club
    Activities, Pistol Shooting, Bench rest Rifle, Compound and Recurve Bow.

__________________________________________________________________________________

PS.

I see there has been 92 hits and no postings on this thread, if any of the viewers(Club Members) dont want to contact me, would you please put the idea to your Committees, for them to take it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

What have you got in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i always wanted to get into either clay shooting, but there is a mist & unknown around guns/ firearms in ireland i think...

i have had the pleasure of using the following: m60 - m16 -ak47 -.22 air rifle but would like to get into target as i think i have a keen eye and nearly every time i hit what i am aiming for....

great idea to open it up a bit lads

ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

ro1798 wrote: »
    i always wanted to get into either clay shooting, but there is a mist & unknown around guns/ firearms in ireland i think...

i have had the pleasure of using the following: m60 - m16 -ak47 -.22 air rifle but would like to get into target as i think i have a keen eye and nearly every time i hit what i am aiming for....

great idea to open it up a bit lads

ronan

If you are interested in Target Shooting, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Repeating Henry

Po1798. PM back MR O'Connor step one. Looks stright foward enough.

If what this is about is to get the likes of you into the sport
    by means of some sort of competition enter, what have you
    to loose. How about all the Clubs getting involved. No point
    in bitching don't want jealousy between clubs. If the object
    of the exercise is to get new members into the sport then
    support it.

In fact open the whole thing up. Offers from any dealers
    importers to supply. Rifles / scopes / safes! Culbs offer
    free first year membership with insurance. Boards get lots
    of newby's registered run the competition. End result more
    interest in the sport create some buzz!

SID if you are a member of a club dont ask what, ask what
    can you do, don't bother MR O Connor as you are a bright
    enought to work up something.

Recap: Newby register on boards. He / she goes into some kind
    draw, have a shoot off or best score takes the Prize.
    This takes place with as many clubs as possible.
    Sport this time next year has more members.

Indeed I did PM him but have heard nothing back. I was curious as to a format as he obviously has some idea?

I have an idea myself: that of a multidiscipline competition for entrants: Say Clays/Psitol/Rifle and the best aggregate score wins. Total beginners only though!

• Advertisement

I'd be up for that... I shoot prone and air but I am a total novice at clays / pistol etc.

I'd be up for that... I shoot prone and air but I am a total novice at clays / pistol etc.

Total beginner:D

Total beginner:D
    In all serious, I would go to a multi discipline comp just to see how other shooting goes.
    Whether I could win or not is immaterial

My twin identical brother though - he can win right?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Repeating Henry

Sid, now ye're talking but I would drop the smiles at the end of your post or it could be misconstrued as taking the mick and we don't want to do that if this is for the benefit of getting newby's involved. If you are up for it, PM boards with Ideas as to how this competition should be run unless boards has a policy about this sort of thing? Builder or Breaker that is the question
    Mortgage man can help with a loan if any club is short of funding.

Newby's log on tune in take part don't be shy.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is something we are considering. I haven't yet come up with a generalised policy for this sort of thing. It is somewhere between "giving back to the community" and "backdoor advertising" and I would want to think things through before opening a can of worms on myself :)
    You can imagine we would be swamped if we had give-away competitions for every club on every forum.... that might not be a terrible thing but someone has to look after the logistics and organisation of it.

Every decision I make is multiplied by literally 1000's sometimes :)

I'm on holiday shortly (I'll check in regularly so dont think the cat's away :p), and in hospital for an op soon but once thats all done with I'll have come up with something to cover situations like this.... in general I'm positive towards this sort of thing, I just need to consider the consequences.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger_dude

Hello
    To start in this sport what kind of costs would i have to spend.Have always had an interest in shooting had a permit years ago but when I got married wife didn't like gun in the house. But I think i'd get away with a sport air rifle.
    Any Info I would be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I think there is a lot of people out there who live with people who don't want firearms in the house. I think some of the shooting ground do have gun storage for members. I know Courtlough have not sure of the cost thinks it about €120 a year for a box that holds 2 guns.

Think one of these would do for storage of center fire rifles if you don't want the cost of getting your own monitored alarm, gun safe ect. that is If your local super asked for them?

Advertisement