Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steel frame/ timber frame

Options
  • 28-01-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or could give me information about building steel frame houses and the pros and cons of it against conventional or timber frame? Which is more economical, companies to contact, etc- any information at all would be great!!

I know you can't put in the concrete first floor in timber frame houses so was wondering if there are other ways to sound proof?

Also trying to decide whether to go direct labour or with a contractor. I have heard different things from different people..some say that you save €40,000 and others say don't save that much at all any more?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

steel frames are usually more expensive.

you can have a concrete floor with timber frame houses, there are different products out there to cater for same.

if you have indepth knowledge of construction best practises and up to date regulations, then you could look at direct labour, otherwise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Norae

Thanks for that. Do you know where I could find out about concrete first floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ollie30

richmond building products do a fermacel system for 1st floor accustics.i think you lay the ply or osb then a honeycombe panel which is then filled over with a special powder/water mix then lined over with fermacel floor board.think it lowers noise by about 35-40 decables and only adds up to 60mm in total depth.havent met anyone who's used it though so i cant comment on how good it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Norae wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Do you know where I could find out about concrete first floor?

http://www.jbconcrete.ie/_lewisSheeting/lewisSheeting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sas wrote: »
    I don't think that is really relevent. Thats a steel deck, silimar to many other products on the market. The OP was looking for a concrete first floor, I took this to mean a precast unit.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i was referring to products similar to that link.
    These are composite floors, so really they are an amalgamation of concrete slabs and steel decks.
    Their main advantage is the creation of a similar 'feeling' and performing floor to a concrete slab floor in masonry dwellings. Their acoustic properties, fire properties and general 'solidity' performance is very comparable to concrete slabs and much greater than timber floors. and the can be used on timber frame dwellings.

Advertisement