Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel in sand & cement floor screed?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm planning on using Polyisocyanurate (PIR) insulation (with foil) in my floor. At the moment I've allowed for 80mm, and if possible I'd like to stick to this. With this type and dept of insulation, over a concrete sub-floor, is there a need to place steel (eg. A142) in the final floor, sand & cement screed (with UFH). I'm guessing that for thin floor insulation there is a stable base, and no steel would be necessary......But as the dept increases, or perhaps for different materials, there will be a point that insulation does not provide a solid enough base (may become too 'spongy') to carry 75mm of screed (and it makes sense to add steel). As always, any feedback or links to reference material is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

use two layers of 40mm pu , stagger lap joints ( 80 mm boards can curl )

you will need mesh to tie UFH pipes anyhow ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rahman

Westford
    Did the exact same job myself a few months back. didn't bother with mesh in finished floor as my subfloor was full of it. I used a mat for the UFH pipework which was great. Just place the mat on top of 2 layers of kinspan (60 + 25) and click pipes into grooves then pour concrete about 75mm. I've had no problems with this setup. We gave the floor a good going over with the power float the day after and the finish is very smooth

Advertisement