Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

junior alaphabet

• 27-01-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

hi,
    i am hoping to apply for the post grad in edu next year having been unsucessful this year:(. in the mean time to get some experience i am moving to dublin and going to subscribe to the txt-a-sub service. while i have a good understanding of a lot of the theory having attending st pats i want to go over some basic content before i start subbing. i have been trying to find the alphabet that is used in schools now including K fior kicking king etc but i can't find it anywhere. Could anyone point me in the right direction..
    Thanks..:D
    Sinead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ther27

If you wanted to invest in the Jolly Phonics Handbook 1, it would be really useful for you. It takes you through the letter formation which is really important. If you are unsure about pronouncing the initial sounds correctly, buy the jolly phonics songs CD and listen to it. It is excellent. Be careful when you are teaching the letters-teach the name and the sound. I have found that giving the juniors a sounds copy with the letters is a great idea. They go over it every night at home and it helps them. 1 page for each letter. If your school uses letterland, you will be forced to use this but it is a bit outdated. Hope this will be of help.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Kicking king is a character in the Letterland programme. Most schools are not using Letterland now. There are many other good programmes out there, and Jolly Phonics comes highly recommended. You can pick up/browze resources in the Early Learning Centre or any school book shop. The CD of Jolly songs is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Kicking king is a character in the Letterland programme. Most schools are not using Letterland now.

I'd noticed that Letterland is no longer being used in our school, is this a DoE Circular thing?

My lads were all given letterland in Junior and Senior Infants, and they liked it mainly because they could get the comics in the shops and the books in bookshops as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I think a lot of children were confusing the character names with the actual letter name and/or sound. Weaker children found it difficult to differentiate between the two. The DoE had nothing to do with the change from Lettterland, and some schools still use it, but newer programmes seemed to work better.

Advertisement