Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy filing

Options
  • 27-01-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there, I have a quick question... I have recently had a filing in one of my front top teeth and the dentist insisted on using a silver filling, which in my view was an incorrect decision. My question is... is there any cosmetic treatment to colur the tooth (paint/dye it white) or do I have to go down the route of having the entire tooth replaced with a prostethic? Obviously, I would prefer to have it treated if possible!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance
    Dec

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Slavery - Any more posts like that and you'll be taking a long break from this forum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Whitening is unlikely to be effective if the cause of the darkness is the silver filling. Options may be to replace the silver filling with a composite(tooth coloured)filling, a porcelain crown, or (worst-case scenario) extraction of the tooth& replacement with a prosthesis(denture/bridge/implant).
    It's impossible to say without seeing the tooth, & your mouth generally.
    But if viable, aim to keep your own tooth as long as possible. Arrange to see a dentist for a second opinion, & to discuss what would give you a better cosmetic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Dianthus wrote: »
    Whitening is unlikely to be effective if the cause of the darkness is the silver filling. Options may be to replace the silver filling with a composite(tooth coloured)filling, a porcelain crown, or (worst-case scenario) extraction of the tooth& replacement with a prosthesis(denture/bridge/implant).
    It's impossible to say without seeing the tooth, & your mouth generally.
    But if viable, aim to keep your own tooth as long as possible. Arrange to see a dentist for a second opinion, & to discuss what would give you a better cosmetic result.

Relax D, that post was from 2008....!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Jesus only spotted that now, locking this up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement