Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Stud

Options
  • 27-01-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for some Advice.I have a 1 year old pedigree boxer dog,and thinking of putting him to stud.Any one have some advice for me?
    How old should he be and stuff like how and where they service:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

First of all can I ask why you want to put your dog up for stud? What's so special about your dog that reputable breeders would want him to sire pups? Has he competed in and won any shows? How good is his pedigree? What kind of bitches would you let your dog be mated to? What kind of breeders would be handling his offspring?

If you ask me there more than enough boxers out there hence there even being a dedicated boxer rescue. Unless you have a magnificent specimen on your hands and are willing to find breeders who are doing it for the good of the breed and not the cash then I think you should reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Also ask yourselves when breeding are you able and willing to take pups back when they are six months old and unwanted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pawsandplay

Is he small or large breed boxer? What colour etc? email me asap on fragglesock@gmail.com
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Hi all looking for some Advice.I have a 1 year old pedigree boxer dog,and thinking of putting him to stud.Any one have some advice for me?
    How old should he be and stuff like how and where they service:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

make sure the dog is breeding with a bitch at least 2 year old or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

firstly the dog is too young to be put to stud. he should be at least 18months. sure hes not even fully grown at a yr old. what is wrong with people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Oh FFS.

Why would you possibly want to breed your dog when you know absolutely nothing about breeding?! There are WAY too many unwanted, and unhealthy dogs out there as it is, just because you have a pedigree dog doesn't make him suitable for breeding.

Just enjoy him as a pet. Stop trying to make money out of him. :rolleyes:

Well said Glowing. he obviously doesnt know anything about breeding or he wouldnt be doing it. his dog is only a yr old and any decent breeder wouldnt use their dog at this age. anybody that wants to use their dog for stud at a yr old only wants to do it for money.
    There are so many pedigree dogs that are totally unsuitable for breeding.
    If you really are serious then you should bring your dog to a boxer expert and see what they think. then maybe show the dog to see if he is of champion quality, then he needs to have ALL the necessary healthchecks that boxers need to be tested for. its not just a case of saying hes healthy, coz he has never been ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Guys,

Outright derision and anger is no way to answer someones questions. Give the guy some credit for asking questions about it rather than just going out and doing it.

OP, All dogs (+1year) are suitable for breeding in regards that they all have the right bits but other factors have to be taken into consideration. The primary concern that any breeder must/should have is for the health of their own dog (sire/dam). After that the health and wellbeing of the offspring must be taken into consideration.

I would urge you to contact a reputable breeder and speak to them as they can give you the best advice in that they have all the experience. It will be much better than some of the advice you will get here from some more emotionally involved people.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Actually if you are breeding pedigree pups, all dogs are NOT suitable for breeding, the sire must be at least 18 months old, and the dam minimum 1 year for the pups to be registered with the IKC.

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Actually if you are breeding pedigree pups, all dogs are NOT suitable for breeding, the sire must be at least 18 months old, and the dam minimum 1 year for the pups to be registered with the IKC.

read my post again

• Advertisement

most dogs, esp large breeds are not even fully grown until they are around 2 so how could anyone consider breeding a dog male or female at 1, they are still pups for god sake. a male should be at least 18 months and a female should at least wait until her 2nd heat (thats my opinion).
    im sorry but people need to be aware of the risks involved of breeding. I would never consider breeding a dog until they are over 18 months. i have a rottie who is 17 months and i was asked to use him for stud and i told them no, that he is too young and he hasnt had all his checks done yet anyway. They are still maturing and i dont think it would be fair, esp to a bitch more so than a male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

"All dogs (+1year) are suitable for breeding in regards that they all have the right bits but other factors have to be taken into consideration"

Um, I did read your post..... I'm actually trying to give the guy the information he was looking for..... He wanted to know how old the dog should be, and I told him, problem??? I dont really know what you were trying to say in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Killme00 wrote: »
    Guys,

Outright derision and anger is no way to answer someones questions. Give the guy some credit for asking questions about it rather than just going out and doing it.

OP, All dogs (+1year) are suitable for breeding in regards that they all have the right bits but other factors have to be taken into consideration. The primary concern that any breeder must/should have is for the health of their own dog (sire/dam). After that the health and wellbeing of the offspring must be taken into consideration.

I would urge you to contact a reputable breeder and speak to them as they can give you the best advice in that they have all the experience. It will be much better than some of the advice you will get here from some more emotionally involved people.

not all dogs breeds at 1 year as boxers are differant eg Females need to be at least 18 months to a good 2 years old for simple reasons,birth cannals fully deveolped and her hind bones or legs have to be fully mature.if done to early she will have birthing problems.Also i read somewhere that it is illegal to bred boxers at a certain age?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

andreac wrote: »
    firstly the dog is too young to be put to stud. he should be at least 18months. sure hes not even fully grown at a yr old. what is wrong with people!!

"What is wrong with people"? Read the OP's post again. They are thinking about putting their dog to stud. The OP doesn't know much about breeding obviously and is asking advice in an animals forum. While I agree with your opinion, you don't need to be nasty about it.
    Well said Glowing. he obviously doesnt know anything about breeding or he wouldnt be doing it. his dog is only a yr old and any decent breeder wouldnt use their dog at this age. anybody that wants to use their dog for stud at a yr old only wants to do it for money.

Yes obviously they don't know much about breeding, that might explain why the OP is asking questions about it. Asking questions is a useful way of finding things out. I know a lot of people who wanted to use their dog for stud because they had the misinformed notion that the dog 'needed to breed' and they weren't expecting to make any money out of it. So it's not always about the money.
    most dogs, esp large breeds are not even fully grown until they are around 2 so how could anyone consider breeding a dog male or female at 1, they are still pups for god sake. a male should be at least 18 months and a female should at least wait until her 2nd heat (thats my opinion).
    im sorry but people need to be aware of the risks involved of breeding.

Again one of the questions the OP asked was how old should he be. It's fairly obvious that the OP doesn't know enough about breeding to get into it at the moment but that doesn't mean that dog breeding should be a secret clique for people who's fathers and fathers' fathers were breeders. The OP's only crime is ignorance and in fairness they are on here asking questions and looking for advice from people who should really be a little more friendly in their replies. imo
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Guys,

+1

The only thing I would add here is be very careful how you decide on what a reputable breeder is when asking for advice. The best bet is to talk to as many people owners/breeders/vets and then decide whether it is a road worth going down.

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    "All dogs (+1year) are suitable for breeding in regards that they all have the right bits but other factors have to be taken into consideration"

Um, I did read your post..... I'm actually trying to give the guy the information he was looking for..... He wanted to know how old the dog should be, and I told him, problem??? I dont really know what you were trying to say in your post.

Perhaps you should read it over and over agin until you do.

All i said was that they have the right bits!!! which they do, anatomically.

I'm not saying just anybody should go out and breed from their dogs. What i am saying is that knowledge is power and if everytime someone asks a question about breeding they are met with derision, they will stop asking the question. My advice would be to grit your teeth anytime you see the question, and answer it politely. That way, you are more likely to get through to them and others. I promise you will see better results in the long run by taking this approach.

Sorry for my reply. it was a bit harsh, but there seems to be so many people out there at the moment just trying to make a quick buck out of their dog, when there are so many unwanted pups and dogs in the pounds.
    Breeding is not about money, its about promoting and improving the breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

"Breeding is not about money, its about promoting and improving the breed" - i totally agree

.I must also add to the op the importance of testing boxer before breeding eg hip scoring, heart line testing, eye and hearing checked also. Assuming a dog is from "champion bloodlines" is only an indication that it is probably from lines where line breeding or maybe even inbreeding occured to keep the "lines" in the pedigree, which can contribute to specific genetic problems in breeds. So it is not ok to just go a breed from a dog who is from champion lines it is way more important to ensure the dog is healthy, happy and is suitable for breeding once that is established then you must find a suitable dam and again test her and ensure she is healthy and suitable for breeding. Both need to be tested and healthy.

As a breeder i must inform you that it is hard work espically finding healthy dogs and bitches in the boxer breed as their so over breed.

"I'm not saying just anybody should go out and breed from their dogs. What i am saying is that knowledge is power and if everytime someone asks a question about breeding they are met with derision, they will stop asking the question. My advice would be to grit your teeth anytime you see the question, and answer it politely. That way, you are more likely to get through to them and others. I promise you will see better results in the long run by taking this approach" - again i agree, yes it is much better to simply anwer what is asked and educate people in a nice manner without judging them or getting mad - yes many breeds are over bred but if the people knew before breeding all the problems, health risks and complications that can arise from them deciding to just breed two dogs then maybe they wouldnt breed at all.

But at least your seeking information before just jumping straight in to it so fair play to you.

Also beware of the complications involved some forget that your are placing the dams health and life on the line and you could possibly loose her espically if you dont know what your doing. Large breeds giving birth to large litters (as boxers tend to have) is very stressful and alot of the time natural births dont occur and a section is required. Now you have a sectioned dam requiring care as well as a litter of pups, you need to be on hand 24/7 for the first few weeks in particular to ensure all is ok, you may even need to supplement and hand feed pups etc.. all these issues need to be thought about as well as a major issue of if you can take back pups down the line if needs be.

Advertisement