Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When designing a building for disabled access does all floors have to allow disabled

Options
  • 26-01-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Point of note: Im a construction student and this building/design is a project, im not actually developing a building for real, yet anyways. :D

When designing a building for disabled access do all the floors have to be able to allow the disabled access them?

For example, in terms of a hostel of 3 storeys, the 1st floor will only have dormitories. As i plan to have a bedroom specially for the disabled on the ground floor do i need to provide them access to the 1st floor? There will be no facilities on the 1st floor that thèy`d be missing out on. The only reason i can think of as to why the disabled would need access to the 1st floor is so they could visit any friends staying on that floor?? But its not a hotel so the hostel owners could put the group of friends with the disabled guest in rooms all on the ground floor beside the disabled room. The reason i ask is because I only want to have to put the lift serving the ground and basement floors only, ideally.

On a seperate issue, regarding protected stairs and lifts.
    Can i have a protected stairway and a protected lift sharing the same surrounding protected lobby? Eg: you walk into the protected lobby and on your left is the stairs and on the right is the lift. Is this ok?

I appreciate all opinions on this, whilst i found most answers in the building regulations i cant see anywher in the regs that says they cant share the same protected lobby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Heres a pic of the protected lobby that might explain what im asking better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Too much detail asked for on a Saturday night. Do you not have your own engineer or architect?

This is locked till I am unlocked

Right: Like your other post you appear to be looking for ways to circumvent certain regulations. If you are going to construct a hostel you should have your own engineer or architect who should be conversant with all statutory regulations. This query isnt as clear cut as the other and Im tempted to unlock it but I will leave it for smashey and Mellor to have a look at it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The first one is pretty simple.
    all rooms will have to satisfy part M and disabled access. Disabled does not soley mean wheelchair users. i can give examples if you wish.

A lift is required depending on occupancy of floors above. For example, in appartments, a lift isn't required when total appartments are below a set limit, but disabled access is still required, in this case a stairs for ambulant disabled.

Without knowing the exact details of floor area and number of people i can't give an exact answer. But I imagine you need a lift. As i spent a couple of months travelling about, I have been in a variety of hostels, a lift is a plus, even a must.

finally, regarding the protection. The answers is it depends. You many specifics, I imagine that you building will need a fire cert, so this is a job for your architect/engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok, this is unlocked as it is a college project. But my comments above stand. Prt M applies to all stories.

As for the lift. There are diagrams in Part B. Have a look. Normall the stairs is off the main lobby. But I have seen both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

For the lift question, look up partM there are criteria as to whether a building needs a lift or not.

P.S In my college days we looked at the regs ourselves before asking others!!!
    Its how you learn and also you will know where to find the proof if its quizzed

• Advertisement
Advertisement