Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC pieces

Options
  • 26-01-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Just have to say this. We just did Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz in school, and WOW! It was so amazing. I never really liked classical music that much but this was just amazing. And now we're doing Piano Concerto no. 23 in A Major K488 by Mozart (see, I learned it off:D) and its also increddible, albeit in a different way. Thoughts on these pieces from conniseurs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

IMO both absolutely fantastique pieces, and probably got me into 'classical' music after doing them for the LC myself.
    The second movement of the Piano Concerto is so gorgeous...
    If you like that Piano Concerto you should also listen to Mozart's Piano Concerto in D Minor, K.466 (No. 20 I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yup no 20. The little A Major concerto is also gorgeous [No 12], also 22 in Eb.

PM me, you might get something nice in the post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Berlioz. Amazing symphony, amazing guy. Read a biog of him (Cairns is the authority) - what a life. Try his Harold in Italy. And for a little ditty you wont get out of your head for days afterwards, listen to the juanty tune in the Francs Juges ouverture.

K488 is a masterpiece. (Bishop-Kovacevic and Perahia versions favourites). It would be one of my desert island discs (K453 'on the other side'). Loved it when I first got into Mozart but then came to think #22 and #25 were superior. Over the last 10 years have come to love 488 even more and would regard it as the equal of the other 2 now. #21 struggles under the weight of its fame, classic lollipop, Elvira Madigan 2nd movement, but its first movement is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The Symphonie Fantastique is a great piece. The "Marche au supplice" is the highlight, no matter how clichéed it is (not quite as clichéed as "Un bal" though).

The A major concerto is a really excellent piece. The highlights include the opening of the second movement and "that" theme in the first movement (the unexpected one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Whats wrong with Un Bal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Nothing wrong with it, except that it's just about hackneyed enough to make it onto Classical Jukebox.

Advertisement