Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

08 season on Setanta?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Do they still have the rights for live games this year?

What's their coverage like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brian017

They signed a 5-year deal last year so I presuming they will broadcast the games this year again. As regards to their coverage:

- they show up to 3 live regular season per week. All of which are repeated throughout the week
    - an 1 hour weekly highlights show (of all the games) usually on a Wed/Thurs night
    - All the Finals and the Grand Final live
    - selected NAB Cup games
    - Brownlow Medal Count

They're coverage is exactly the same as the Australian broadcasters i.e. the same commentary, analysis etc..

Also, I've read they'll try to show the other 5 games per week (where schedules permit).

Was pleased with the quality and the extend of their coverage last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tonton zola

Sounds good. I might subscribe, seeing as they also show prem and GAA.
    Pity they don't show The Footy Show

Seven and Fox have the rights in Oz, don't they?

They started to show the NRL Footy Show towards the end of last season so maybe we'll see the AFL version at some point this season

The broadcast rights in Oz are shared between Seven (Friday night and Sunday afternoon games), Ten (Saturday afternoon and night games), and Fox Sports (1 Saturday afternoon, 1 Saturday night game, 1 Sunday afternoon and evening game). Grand Final rights alternate from year to year between Seven and Ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Yeah their coverage last year was great, and was the main reason I got it installed during the summer at the height of the season. Was great for the playoffs too, altho it meant taking sneaky lunches early and coming back late on a few Fridays! Would be great if they got the footy show too, the AFL version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Brian017 wrote: »
    Grand Final rights alternate from year to year between Seven and Ten.

Ten has exclusive Grand Final rights every year.

• Advertisement

gipo2 wrote: »
    Ten has exclusive Grand Final rights every year.

not anymore. The new deal came into affect last year.
    The Grand Final was broadcast on Ten in 2007, and alternate between the two FTA networks until 2011, meaning Ten will screen three Grand Finals to Seven's two. As a consolation, Seven screened the Brownlow medal count, the Pre-Season Grand Final and had their choice of the best finals throughout the finals series in the years they don't broadcast the Grand Final. Ten will have the same privilege in 2008 and 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League#Australian_television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Looks like Setanta wont be starting there coverage until the full season starts.

Linky
    Sat 22 Mar 03:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (03:00-06:00) More
    Sat 22 Mar 08:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (08:00-11:00) More
    Sun 23 Mar 04:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (04:00-07:00) More
    Sun 23 Mar 08:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (08:00-11:00) More
    Sat 29 Mar 03:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (03:00-06:00) More
    Sat 29 Mar 08:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (08:00-11:00) More
    Sun 30 Mar 03:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (03:00-06:00) More
    Sun 30 Mar 09:00 TBC AFL Setanta Sports 2 (09:00-12:00) More

Remember these listings are for Setanta in the UK, I am hoping they are the same for Ireland. As it looks like they are starting off with four games a week. Which would be great as you have a 50% chance that your team will be shown each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Looks like Setanta wont be starting there coverage until the full season starts.

Linky

Remember these listings are for Setanta in the UK, I am hoping they are the same for Ireland. As it looks like they are starting off with four games a week. Which would be great as you have a 50% chance that your team will be shown each week.

nice one, cheers for that. And what makes it all the better is I have got sky+ since the end of last season so no more getting up at all hours in the morning to watch a live game!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I emailed Setanta a few days ago to find out about their broadcasting plans for Ireland. I'll post the reply here when it arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

telecaster wrote: »
    I emailed Setanta a few days ago to find out about their broadcasting plans for Ireland. I'll post the reply here when it arrives

Without being sarcastic I would say good look with that. I emailed them weeks ago and haven't heard back from them. But if you do get a reply please post. Maybe they just dont like me.

• Advertisement

I e-mailed them a few days ago with the same question, so you'll probably get a reply along the lines of this
    Setanta wrote:
    Dear Mr. xxxxxx 6 Jan, 2008

Thank you for your e-mail.

Great news - Setanta Sports has the exclusive Live and Delayed rights
    for the AFL for the next 5 years, which will include the Premiership
    season, AFL Final Series, AFL Grand Final and International Rules.
    These will be available in the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK.

Additionally we will show a minimum of two Live matches per round from
    the Premiership season which amounts to 44 matches.

Please visit our website www.setanta.com for all schedule information.

If further information or assistance is required, you can also contact
    our Customer Services team on the number below. Our lines are open from
    8.00 am to midnight, seven days a week.

Yours sincerely

Mark Forrester

Setanta Sports Customer Services

EDIT: Is anyone elses Sky EPG showing AFL Live from 11:30am-12:00 On Setanta 2 tomorrow because mine is. Which is weird because theres no AFL match live on at that time plus these programmes usually last for 3.5 hours not 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Remember these listings are for Setanta in the UK, I am hoping they are the same for Ireland.

I would be surprised if they didn't show the same here. The only main differences between Setanta Sports 1 in Ireland and the UK is the 3pm Premiership soccer.

I will see if i can find out for you lads .

Setanta replied, coverage starts this weekend.
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Great news - Setanta Sports has the exclusive Live and Delayed rights
    for the AFL for the next 4 years, which will include the Premiership
    season, AFL Final Series, AFL Grand Final and International Rules.
    These will be shown in all regions.

Additionally we will show a minimum of two Live matches per round from
    the Premiership season which amounts to 44 matches. We are also
    showing the NAB Cup and our next scheduled match is Geelong v Melbourne
    which is on at 4.30am on Saturday 16th February on Setanta Sports 2.

So what's it to be lads, a late night or an early morning? :)

Setanta replied, coverage starts this weekend.

So what's it to be lads, a late night or an early morning? :)

Neither, it will be Sky+ for me ;)

Look like they didnt show it in the end. They were some SPL highlights show on.

yeah, it was never published on the setanta website or on the sky listings. I set the sky+ for the relevant time and just got the Scottish footie.

hopefully we'll get a bit of NAB action next weekend

Advertisement