Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KSC/KWA m11a1 (Mac 11) troubleshooting guide

Options
  • 26-01-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Just before I start, let me say one thing. If you're new to airsoft and are considering buying a gas blowback Mac 11 as your first piece, DO NOT.

Chances are very high that it'll have a wide number of issues which you won't know how to fix. If you want full auto, go with an AEG instead.

Just to anyone unaware, The KSC and KWA are the exact same gasblowback made by the exact same company. KSC is made for the Japanese market, therefore has all the Ingram trademarks. The KWA was made for export around the world so they were unfortunately removed for obviously copywrite issues. If you can, get the KSC. As you'll look a lot 1337er than all the KWA users ;)

Now one of the most important rules of the KSC m11a1 which you should do without even thinking,

PULL THE BOLT BACK BEFORE INSERTING THE MAG.

After "Not for beginners", this would be the next thing written across the box in big red letters. Not doing so will fatigue a plastic internal part of the bolt and eventually it will snap. (The option is there to upgrade to a magnesium bolt. In which case, you will no longer have to do this)

Anyway, on to some of the problems.

The main issue I had originally with mine was incorrect feeding. Over half the bbs were hopping out the ejection port rather than going down the barrel. Either that or they were all getting stacked up on top of each other, jamming the blowback function.

The easiest way of solving this problem is switching your brand of bbs. The primary culprit seems to be excel. Their diameter is slightly smaller than other brands. As a result, the bbs won't stay in the magazine properly and release, jamming everything up. I even found that an accidental knock to the top bb in a mag could send the rest spewing out after it.

This should solve the ejection port problem. If not, then your issue is more than likely with the bolt cycle itself or the hop up rubber.

There are a number of issues which can cause the bolt to cycle incorrectly. The main one is usually lubrication. The mac11 really does need a lot of it. It's usually a good idea to strip it right down (Bolt and all) and clean it out regularly. If you're using it for skirmishing, after every game.

However, there are a couple of points which need to be avoided. There are two rubber seals which, rather annoyingly soak up silicone oil. If you lubricate these too much they will expand (Possibly jamming things) and crack.

One of the rubbers is located where the hop up is. (Where the bbs feed into the barrel). The other is on the top of the magazine.

P1260612.jpg
    You can easily see the hop rubber there in the middle of the picture.

Applying lithium grease to a couple of parts of the bolt is also known to greatly improve cycle rates. (Something I haven't had any experience with myself. I'll add to this when I get a chance to try it out)

The second major problem (And turned out to be another huge issue with mine) is the gas itself. Use decent green gas. I originally bought ICS with the Mac and it didn't work once. Either use ASG branded stuff or propane. I've actually found that the propane gives it a little extra oompfh (yes that is a technical term) which does help a bit with the cycling.

However, propane and good green gas will not always work 100%. Gas needs heat to expand. As the Irish climate isn't exactly tropical, some blowbacks have trouble working here.

The best way of avoiding this is having more than one magazine. If you only use one, repeatedly filling with gas will cause so much cooldown that it won't be able to expand. Resulting in the bolt eventually only cycling about half way.

Take down guide.

This is more or less everything you need to know to take the Mac11 down enough so it can be cleaned.

P1260599cropped.jpg

First thing to do is remove the stock. I'm sure you don't need a picture of this... ;)
    Next, remove the front pin. You push the small tab down and then press it through. Tricky enough to figure out but once you do, you feel like a bit of a pleb for being so confused. (Well I know I did anyway)

P1260601.jpg

And it's out. Hurrah.

P1260602.jpg

Do the same with the other pin.

P1260603.jpg

Now with no pin in the front, the top part of the receiver should come away

P1260606.jpg

Notice the large hook at the end of the bolt just under the screw. This hooks into the lower receiver and takes a bit of jiggling to get in and out. It's not difficult, just be aware that it's there.

P1260607.jpg

Lower receiver
    P1260608.jpg

This is probably the trickiest part. Taking the pin out of the bolt to separate it from the upper receiver. In this image the pin is turned sideways. It acts like a second safety. We don't want it like this.

P1260610.jpg

We want it like this

P1260609.jpg

Pull the pin the whole way back as if you're cocking the Mac to shoot. You'll notice that there are two holes in each end of the slot where the pin flies back and forth. The back hole is the biggest one and is where you'll be pulling the pin out. Getting the damn thing to come out can be quite difficult. I almost gave up while taking these pictures. But decided to persist. Eventually it popped out.

P1260616.jpg

You can now remove the bolt from the upper receiver.
    P1260617.jpg

Bolt itself. (Reversed to show spring)
    P1260618.jpg

And that's it folks. Things you'd want to lubricate are every side of the bolt, inside the upper receiver wherever the bolt makes contact. (which is more or less all of it). The lower receiver. Trigger mechanism. Everything that moves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Pics with a strip down guide would be great!
    Never knew about the Excel BB's being a little smaller?
    Mine cycles perfectly and have had no issues with it.

The only thing that happened was the mag gets a jolt and all
    the BB's go flying out of it. Now I know why.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 34,487 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Reassembly is easy enough.

Slide the bolt back in.

P1260631.jpg

Reattach the bolt pin into the hole at the back.

P1260630.jpg

When reattaching to the lower receiver make sure the pin is still in the back hole so the bolt protrudes. Makes it a lot easier. Insert it spring first. Once that's in place, you can start fidding around with the bolt hook.

P1260633.jpg

Insert the front pins and it's back together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

o1s1n wrote: »
    You've never had any issues with it at all? You must be 1 in a thousand. :eek:

Nope. Before I use it just give it a quick spray and off she goes.
    Once or twice on a cold day the gas ran out before the BB's
    I've yet to strip it down fully. Twice I've tried but each time
    I have been drunk so stopped half way.

I only own one mag, I must get a spare. still looking for a silencer for it.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

very nice and well written guide o1s1n

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kristov

hello just noticed this thread .
    kinda new here but tought someone might like to know how i sorted this prob with my m11.
    What i noticed was that the gap in the top of the mag was too wide for the bbs to stay in the mag .
    i fixd it by putting the very tip of the mag in a vice and giving it a slight pinch .
    bbs stil go in no problem and it doesnt eject them any more . just dont squeze the vice to hard if you do try this . " if you squeze to hard and break your mag its not my fault ".
    any way its a nice gun apart from that lil prob and a good strip down guide :)...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Kristov wrote: »
    hello just noticed this thread .
    kinda new here but tought someone might like to know how i sorted this prob with my m11.
    What i noticed was that the gap in the top of the mag was too wide for the bbs to stay in the mag .
    i fixd it by putting the very tip of the mag in a vice and giving it a slight pinch .
    bbs stil go in no problem and it doesnt eject them any more . just dont squeze the vice to hard if you do try this . " if you squeze to hard and break your mag its not my fault ".
    any way its a nice gun apart from that lil prob and a good strip down guide :)...

What bbs were you using? You can usually solve this problem by changing to a slightly larger brand.

o1s1n wrote: »
    What bbs were you using? You can usually solve this problem by changing to a slightly larger brand.

i was using excel jbu and gold fire although think they are the same as excel .
    i havent tried the Q bullet yet ..

Master of the Universe

Kristov wrote: »
    i was using excel jbu and gold fire although think they are the same as excel .
    i havent tried the Q bullet yet ..

Well that was your problem!

Excel are slightly too small for the mac 11 mags. So the bbs end up spitting out the top. I thought it was all bbs and was on the verge of doing something similar to you (but with a hammer :eek:) Changed to another brand and it doesn't happen any more.

i was thinking of trying KSC bbs what type are you using at the minuit ill give them a go.
    hitting it with a hammer was one of my first thoughts when it first started to do it :) along with wtf is this thing doing . i only noticed the gap after i loaded up the mag i had my thumb over the front of the mag and as i released the spring catch they all shot strait up and bounced of he ceiling all 48 of them :)...
    i will try other bbs and see if their tighter in the mag ....now that ive sqishd mine a tad .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've only noticed the problem of BBs flying out of the mag since I bought two new mags for mine (unbranded so I guess it's a KWA even though it comes in a KSC box). The mag that came with it works perfectly with whatever BBs G-tac and HRTA stock, it's never spat out BBs. The two new mags branded KSC spit the mags out.

There's no visible difference in the Mags, I keep meaning to bring them into work so I can get an accurate measurement.

My original plan to fix this was to put some super glue on the opening to reduce he gap but the superglue wouldn't stick. I don't like the vice idea and want something that I can remove and try again.

Any ideas on what I could use besides superglue.

I don't know if it's possible to buy KWA mags if it is I'd recommend them as they work perfectly.

• Advertisement

I've brought my mags into work and had them properly measured. There's .1mm of a difference between the KWA and KSC mags.

On Friday I'm going to try and fix one of them.

One of the solutions we came up with was to squeeze the top in a vice and file it to perfection.

I'm still stuck on the glue idea, we have Araldite 2000+ here which sticks to metal, I was thinking that would be enough to build up the .1 difference without causing permanent damage.

Any advice? I'll have access to a well equipped engineering department with milling machines, surface grinders and just about everything I could possibly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know where to get the piece that fits between the base plate and the spring in the mag? Lost my brothers and dont wanna buy a whole new mag, not super cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've only noticed the problem of BBs flying out of the mag since I bought two new mags for mine (unbranded so I guess it's a KWA even though it comes in a KSC box). The mag that came with it works perfectly with whatever BBs G-tac and HRTA stock, it's never spat out BBs. The two new mags branded KSC spit the mags out.

There's no visible difference in the Mags, I keep meaning to bring them into work so I can get an accurate measurement.

My original plan to fix this was to put some super glue on the opening to reduce he gap but the superglue wouldn't stick. I don't like the vice idea and want something that I can remove and try again.

I don't know if it's possible to buy KWA mags if it is I'd recommend them as they work perfectly.

Id say heating and pressing it would be the best option to sort that, the trouble with super glue is that it doesnt work on anything thats movable and will all the BBs passing through that piece and the loading muzzle etc, the gule will just shear off and probably end up in the barrel.,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Id say heating and pressing it would be the best option to sort that, the trouble with super glue is that it doesnt work on anything thats movable and will all the BBs passing through that piece and the loading muzzle etc, the gule will just shear off and probably end up in the barrel.,

vtec wrote:
    the gule will just shear off and probably end up in the barrel.,
    Ya I never thought of it going as far as the barrel. Right vice it is so, I'll report back Friday evening hopefully with 2 fully operational mags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 llort

I've brought my mags into work and had them properly measured. There's .1mm of a difference between the KWA and KSC mags.

On Friday I'm going to try and fix one of them.

One of the solutions we came up with was to squeeze the top in a vice and file it to perfection.

I'm still stuck on the glue idea, we have Araldite 2000+ here which sticks to metal, I was thinking that would be enough to build up the .1 difference without causing permanent damage.

Any advice? I'll have access to a well equipped engineering department with milling machines, surface grinders and just about everything I could possibly need.

or you could just use KSC bb's in it.

llort wrote: »
    or you could just use KSC bb's in it.
    To much hassle, it shouldn't be so picky.

SUCCESS!!

It seems to have worked for now anyway, I'll need to do more tests but the mags are all froze up now so I left it.

I put the mags into the side of the vice horizontally. The vice had cushions on it (which kind of got slightly destroyed). As I tightened the vice it wanted to push the mag out so I was pushing it back in as I tightened the vice. I put it in the centre of the vice for a squeeze as well.

There's little to the job the amount it needs to be squeezed is minimal, I have the gap between 5.6 and 5.7mm and that seems to work, they started out at around 5.8mm. Testing the mag afterward I still had two bbs pop out, but that's a vast improvement over the entire mag flying out the ejection port. The mags are actually usable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gonzoguy

in regards to the mag having bb's shoot out because the mag lips are too far apart, does anyone know if this happens to the beretta 93r's? The mag lips are enough apart for bb's to eject out the top and do during sustained firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

where did you buy this from cos i want to get one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

My one of these is on its way from Vegas as we speak. It is so cheap due to the mag spraying all the BB's thru the ejection port issue. Thanks to the guys and gals here I know what to do :D

Oh its the KSC one BTW :D

Anyone know where (in Ireland) I can get the suppressor for it - or is it a normal suppressorr?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dbuck8

I myself have a MAC 11 but I am having some major issues with it, the main issue I have is it will not fire, ok a quick idea of what its doin: load it up pull trigger and the piece on top ;) fires forward but not far enuf, if u push further it will shoot one bb then release all the gas. I have taken it apart and cleaned and regresed it but still nothing I've tried this indoor and outside but still no joy any suggestions.

Cheers
    Dbuck

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mark42

anybody know why full auto is not working on kwa m11a1 only fireing single shots

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MR KALASHNIKOV

Has anyone ever had any trouble with the gas not being used by the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Misterfwishy

I was considering buying that gun until I read this. It sounds like too much work for an amateur like me.

Advertisement