Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 310 - Fastest or Shortest?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Is there any real difference between these 2 options on the Garmin Nuvi setting - fastest or shortest? I just HATE having to go off on a complete tangent up narrow wee roads that are no better than farmyard tracks, while I stress myself out in fear of meeting a bicycle and not having enough room to pass.
    I just want to travel on MAIN roads - or as main a road as you can get here in Donegal :) I don't want to go off the beaten track to cut .5 kms off my journey and would challenge anyone who claims that travelling at 20 kms/hr on these tracks is faster, no matter how much 'shorter' they are. I've tried both settings and STILL get these nightmare options. Is there any way round this?
    Sorry for ranting, but I chose a sat nav to save me stress, not create it :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I used to have the Nuvi 310 and did find a difference. I nearly always used the faster route . Have you checked your setting on avoidances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I just want to travel on MAIN roads - or as main a road as you can get here in Donegal :) I don't want to go off the beaten track to cut .5 kms off my journey and would challenge anyone who claims that travelling at 20 kms/hr on these tracks is faster, no matter how much 'shorter' they are. I've tried both settings and STILL get these nightmare options. Is there any way round this?
    Sorry for ranting, but I chose a sat nav to save me stress, not create it :mad:
    Can you use mapsource to plan your routes on a 310?
    You can apply a major roads bias, when routing in mapsource..
    [Edit][Preferences][Routing][Prefer Highways].

But, the Garmin routing algorithms are far from perfect.. In fact there are a large number of problems with how roads are categorized. I like to think of it as an adventure... You never know where you're going to end up! If you donn't like the look of a minor road, keep going on the mian road. It'll re-route you eventually.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

dak - I always use 'fastest' now - it's marginally better than 'shortest'. The avoidances have no option that helps - just things like u-turns, off road, tolls etc. Are there other sat navs that would allow me to avoid mountain tracks ? :D
    Krusty - I have no idea what mapsource is - I don't think it's on the 310. Is it on other nuvis? I will look tomorrow - in bed now
    As for keeping going on the 'main' road - hmmmm, I made that mistake once and the next 'recalculating' effort took me up one of the 'mainest' excuse for a road that I ever want to travel on :D The car was brushing the shrubbery on BOTH sides :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The car was brushing the shrubbery on BOTH sides :eek:
    At least the grass strip in the middle of the road will give the underside of your car a good cleaning. :)

Advertisement