Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School project, hall table advice on timber - Junior Cert

Options
  • 26-01-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have to bring my son off tomorrow to find timber for his Junior Cert Project.

He is making a hall table.

Any ideas what type of timber he should use? The teacher just told him to get hardwood but I have no idea about timber. Last time I took my other son away to buy timber for a coffee table, ended up paying >€200 for white oak.......:(

Also, any idea where to go, north Dublin county or city?

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

For a Junior Cert project I don't see the need for using Hardwood.
    Softwood is normally used, as it is readily available in the WW room, and is easy to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

That's what I would have thought but the teacher told him to use hardwood..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Local joinery shops are a good source for small quantities of hard wood timbers
    Why not be creative and use a mixture of hardwood timbers in the project if you can’t get quantities of a particular species that you need
    I have done this many times on private and commercial projects with great effect
    Regards jbcford

Advertisement