Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone help value my desk....

Options
  • 26-01-2008 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

As the title suggests. anyone there willing to help me value a writing desk i built as a project last year?

Its a Gustav Stickley Inspired design that I created myself.

It is constructed using solid beech throughout apart from the backs of the drawers.

I fully jointed the whole thing together using Mortise and Tenon joints.

The Side and back panels are solid beech boards that have been biscuit jointed and glued together then cut to the right height and width of the panel.

The top and drawer fronts are also solid beech.

The drawers are hung on metal sliders.

The laegs taper in on all the inner sides to create a more elegant look as the desk is a fair size and it also keeps in with the Stickley design.

The handles are a semi circular cup handle finished in black.

The Centre section of the top is plywood covered in leather in keeping with the Stickley style and writing desk theme.

The whole project has been finished in 4+ coats of danish oil applied with wire wool. this method provides a very druable finish and a gorgeous lustre to the Beech.

The dimesnsions of it are:

Height from the ground to the top of the desk: 835mm
    Width: 1635mm
    Depth: 660mm

a more detailed list of measurements can be provided along with a full design brief detailing the construction methods used and research behind it.

these are the only pics i have at this moment in time....

Image066.jpg

Image067.jpg

Image065.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Sorry tbk, I've no idea what it's worth but it's a beautiful piece of furniture, the danish oil finish looks great. What's it worth to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tbk

carpainter wrote: »
    Sorry tbk, I've no idea what it's worth but it's a beautiful piece of furniture, the danish oil finish looks great. What's it worth to you?

Its worth a lot in sentimental value, but after completing it and bringing it home i realised i have absoloutely no room and it is sitting to one side in my dining room taking up space.

I would probably say offers over 1000-1200 would that be too low do ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, it's a lovely desk.

However if there aren't potential buyers knocking down your door then it's a buyers market.... and I'd say if you can get 1,000 to 1,200 you'd be doing ok (or very well).

On the other hand if a customer came to you asking you to make one in that size and using your methods then I'd say you could take a chance and ask for 1,800 to 2,000, possibly more. (Not that I'd be asking for more... however some professionals may need that amount or more just to justify staying in buisness... if everything is done by hand it can take many 100's of hours, check out 'Readers Gallery' in Fine Woodworking, some pieces there have 100's of hours put into them, what would they cost?)

Cheers
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I wouldn't have thought that €1200 would be very much for a piece like that, I'd pay that and more if I wanted the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 turnertina

Hi Tbk,
    What a beautiful piece! It looks like you put a lot of time into it.
    Just a thought, but could you get it valued by an auctioneer?
    Hey, there's an idea - maybe start a thread on where to find good auctions in Ireland. I love finding old pieces and bringing them back to life, I usually look in charity shops but it's hard to find a really decent piece of furniture.

Jac

• Advertisement
Advertisement