Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erlang - do any of you use this programming language?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I'm learning Erlang at the moment. It's a functional language used to build concurrent, fault tolerant systems.

It seems quite nice.

Do any of you use this language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Did it in 3rd year in college. Haven't used it since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

dublindude wrote: »
    I'm learning Erlang at the moment. It's a functional language used to build concurrent, fault tolerant systems.

It seems quite nice.

Do any of you use this language?

Don't program in it myself but work with systems that are written in it. I'm interested in learning it myself...lack of time at the moment is a bit of a problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

rmacm wrote: »
    Don't program in it myself but work with systems that are written in it. I'm interested in learning it myself...lack of time at the moment is a bit of a problem though.

Do you work for Ericsson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

dublindude wrote: »
    Do you work for Ericsson?

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Learning more of this language... God it's complicated! :o

Higher-order functions are a pain in the hole.

For example, there are no for loops, so you can create your own like this -

for(Max, Max, F) -> [F(Max)];
    for(I, Max, F) -> [F(I)|for(I+1, Max, F)].

Where F is some function, and you'd initally call the loop doing something like "for(1, 10, some function)."

That's just horrendous really...

I'm finding I'm having to forget most of the programming concepts I know (such as variables being variable).

• Advertisement
Advertisement