Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest general ever

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am new to these parts so I thought I'd start a thread about who the greatest general (or military leader) was in history. I know that there are differing types of generals and differing types of command so support your arguments as best as you can.

My nomination- Hannibal Barca. The man was a genius and there are many ifs and buts with him as he very nearly destroyed Rome before it became the huge Empire it became. This was partly due to cultural differences, the Carthaginians were a trading nation that wanted war only in dire circumstances and if necessary the would settle, as in the first Punic war. The Romans however had it ingrained in them that they would have to fight to the bitter end, this ingrained in their psyche after the sack of Rome by the Gauls. Scipio Africanus gave him his only defeat at Zama but afterwards he became a mercenary general and admiral in Asia Minor. This variety is why I like him. Any other suggestions.

Comments

Advertisement