Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to all this...

Options
  • 24-01-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi everyone, Im new to this website and to the topic too. Just wondering can someone possibly help me. We have recently been given a site and intend on building. Trouble is I have NO idea where to start. If I look for some info on the internet its only english sites that come up. We have an idea of what we like and how many rooms etc but just dont know where to go from here? Might be stupid but I would just love some help off you that know yer stuff.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

scoby1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Im new to this website and to the topic too. Just wondering can someone possibly help me. We have recently been given a site and intend on building. Trouble is I have NO idea where to start. If I look for some info on the internet its only english sites that come up. We have an idea of what we like and how many rooms etc but just dont know where to go from here? Might be stupid but I would just love some help off you that know yer stuff.
    Thanks
    First of all welcome to the forum.

Now if you intend building only you will know what type/design/layout of a house that not only do you want but more importantly NEED. You (and the other half) will need to sit down and think of things like how many reception rooms do you need, how many bedrooms etc etc. You should also think about things like how many of a family will there be and look to the future - how many rooms will be lying empty when the family grow up and move out.

There are a lot of things to think about. After you have decided the number and type of rooms you need you then need to get something down on paper. You can opt to go into the likes of Easons and buy a couple of books (irish books) and look through them or have a look through a few houses belonging to family and friends and take note of the room sizes. You may even draw a rough sketch of the internal layout of the house with a few dimensions on it. After that you then need to get an architect/technician/engineer to prepare the plans, maps etc.

You could also do a bit of research yourself by looking at the rural housing requirements of the development plan for the county you live in - see if there are any restrictions to building where your site is located. You could also check the rate for development contributions - this is a fee payable to the council after you get planning and most times its based on the house size so the bigger the house the more you will pay.

There are a couple of other threads here and if I can find them i will post a link to them and you can have a look through them also.

Have a look here, here, here and here.

Also have a look at the stickies at the top of the page.

At a later date you will need to be looking into things like insulation, heating systems, ventilation etc etc. But thats enough to keep you going for now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scoby1

Thank you so much! I know Im being quite daft but you know yourself, its all new stuff! Anyway, what a great site, intend on using it to make myself if at least a little bit knowledgable in this department!

scoby1 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I know Im being quite daft but you know yourself, its all new stuff! Anyway, what a great site, intend on using it to make myself if at least a little bit knowledgable in this department!
    Not daft at all - we all have to start somewhere.

The stickies I referred to are at the top of the front page and theres some great info in them regarding prices etc. There are a lot of details and information on this forum and like everything else there are also a lot of different opinions. You can use the search function to find details a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

If the site really is something special then I would advise you to get a Qualified Experienced Architect and not an engineer (this will probably piss off some fellow arch. tech's and engineers but I believe that every qualification has their place).
    A good architect will be able to advise you on how to make the most of your site, the best use of space and give you a layout that you will be happy with. They can also give you an idea of cost, materials to use, orientation etc.
    I live in a scenic area and a lot of my neighbours live in bungalows over 10 years old that are being renovated and modernised. Most tell me that they arent happy with their houses and given the chance they would hire an architect to design a better house to make the most of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,132 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

250882 wrote: »
    A good architect will be able to advise you on how to make the most of your site, the best use of space and give you a layout that you will be happy with. They can also give you an idea of cost, materials to use, orientation etc.
    To be fair, a good anybody should be able to tell you that.
    There are pros and cons for deciding who you should employ, but imo "cost, materials to use, orientation" are not key factors. And to be fair, those areas are hardly an architects area of expertise.

There are pros and cons of going architect vrs engineer route. Alot of which are documented on the forum, have a look around and maybe post questions in a while

If the site really is something special then I would advise you to get a Qualified Experienced Architect and not an engineer
    Why? Its this site (web) he's referring to ;)

I dont think we need an architect to design anything for the construction and planning forum on boards.ie ;)

Oh and it is special because of me*

*not necessarily true

I know that if I were going spending 120K+ on building a house I would hire an architect to design it, the above points you mentioned ARE the architects area of experience. I am not an architect but a humble technician. I have worked with both architects and engineers and there is a huge difference.
    If designing a house get an architect
    If you want a house drawn up get a technician or engineer
    If certifying a house get an engineer
    If you have any experience of working on large residential or commercial projects you will know that all of the above professions will be involved, with the architect as top dog. There is a huge difference in the standard of design. My days working in an engineers office consisted of modifying the same bungalow, dormer or 2 storey house to fit the clients brief and no matter the orientation of the site they always had to face the road and there could never be any design features in case they were difficult to build. In an architets office the house is designed to be lived in not just to be easy to build and because of that the concepts are better and more adventurous and you ultimately get something that isnt exactly the same as every other house on the road.
    All I'm saying is that its a lot of money to spend on something that you might not be happy with.

If you have any experience of working on large residential or commercial projects you will know that all of the above professions will be involved, with the architect as top dog. There is a huge difference in the standard of design. My days working in an engineers office consisted of modifying the same bungalow, dormer or 2 storey house to fit the clients brief and no matter the orientation of the site they always had to face the road and there could never be any design features in case they were difficult to build. In an architets office the house is designed to be lived in not just to be easy to build and because of that the concepts are better and more adventurous and you ultimately get something that isnt exactly the same as every other house on the road.
    Nobody suggest that an architect doesn't provide a better design service.
    But "cost, materials to use, orientation" are not part of this. Or at lest not the main part.

Some architects will have a good idea of material cost, but so will alot of good technologists, engineers, and of course a QS. Alot of good builders will know alot about cost, but I wouldn't let one near a drawing board.

As for material properties and selection, and decent technologist should have a better knowledge of materials than an architect. Aesthetics is one element, performance is another. I am aware the above is a very general statement, but we are speaking in general terms. Some will of course not fit this mode.

As for orientation, well there are aesthetics again, and there is solar gain. Accross the board anybody with any knowledge in the area should be on par with each other.

These are the "strengths" you listed in your first post. I don't think these are an architects strenths at all. The architects strengths are in design. It might be easy for you to decide that you would rather an architect as you know the service provided and the house you are after. But a large portion of the country wouldn't like "designed" house, they would prefere a banal, run of the mill house like the rest on the road (I wouldn't btw, but alot of people don't get modern design)
    Each route has an advantage, its up to the OP to decide which would be best for him. As you said if it was you, you would get an architect. I wouldn't if it was me, as I'd rather do it myself. There are people who rushed into all routes and were ultimately disappointed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody suggest that an architect doesn't provide a better design service.
    But "cost, materials to use, orientation" are not part of this. Or at lest not the main part.

Some architects will have a good idea of material cost, but so will alot of good technologists, engineers, and of course a QS. Alot of good builders will know alot about cost, but I wouldn't let one near a drawing board.

As for material properties and selection, and decent technologist should have a better knowledge of materials than an architect. Aesthetics is one element, performance is another. I am aware the above is a very general statement, but we are speaking in general terms. Some will of course not fit this mode.

As for orientation, well there are aesthetics again, and there is solar gain. Accross the board anybody with any knowledge in the area should be on par with each other.

These are the "strengths" you listed in your first post. I don't think these are an architects strenths at all. The architects strengths are in design. It might be easy for you to decide that you would rather an architect as you know the service provided and the house you are after. But a large portion of the country wouldn't like "designed" house, they would prefere a banal, run of the mill house like the rest on the road (I wouldn't btw, but alot of people don't get modern design)
    Each route has an advantage, its up to the OP to decide which would be best for him. As you said if it was you, you would get an architect. I wouldn't if it was me, as I'd rather do it myself. There are people who rushed into all routes and were ultimately disappointed.

At the end of the day, the best service will be provided by a dedicated design team... with all the professionals as listed above involved. However many prospective clients do not see the advantages or value of engaging these different professionals... unfortunately..... and this is an education problem.....

If i wanted a car tomorrow i wouldnt go to a mechanic with a brief as to what i wanted, nor would i go to a wholesales and buy all the car parts and try to put it together without detailed instructions........... but for some reason most people dont treat with respect what probably is the greatest expense they will have in their lifetime. Thats not a dig a competent self builders... but competent self builders are very very scarce.

• Advertisement

Mellor, and Sydthebeat, you are both completely right(and very diplomatic I might add)
    I was actually trying to come up with some metaphor involving cars but couldn't think of one.
    To the OP, i'm sorry about going off on a rant with useless points and opinions
    It just really frustrates me to realise that most of Irelands scenic mountain and lake views are being spoiled by industrial mustard coloured bungalow bliss houses with faux georgian pvc windows plonked on the tops of hills.

P.S a really good reference book on house design and siting is actually the Cork County Council Rural Housing Guidelines but I think Leitrim have a condensed version.

It just really frustrates me to realise that most of Irelands scenic mountain and lake views are being spoiled by industrial mustard coloured bungalow bliss houses with faux georgian pvc windows plonked on the tops of hills.
    Dear lord the image, you forgot the ionic columns :p
    P.S a really good reference book on house design and siting is actually the Cork County Council Rural Housing Guidelines but I think Leitrim have a condensed version.
    Does anyone know if they is an online version of this? Its a great reference (thanks 250882)
    With a bit of luck the OP, seeing as they made the effort to inquired here, will be trying to build a well designed house, (mind you the standards here are very high)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mellor wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they is an online version of this? Its a great reference
    I think there's a link to it in the reference material sticky at the top of the page.

how could I forget the Ionic columns and the concrete lions on the gate posts

Advertisement