Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop specs

Options
  • 24-01-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi,

Im looking into buying a new laptop at the moment and basically want to make sure that it'll handle most dj functions. I want to be comfortably use traktor and handle a large database of music with room to move on if i so wish.

I think im going to go with the dell inspiron 1525 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache), 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024], and 160gb gard disk space, tho not too worried about that as will probably invest in external drive.

Is this good enough??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

nylo wrote: »
    hi,

Im looking into buying a new laptop at the moment and basically want to make sure that it'll handle most dj functions. I want to be comfortably use traktor and handle a large database of music with room to move on if i so wish.

I think im going to go with the dell inspiron 1525 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5450 (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache), 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024], and 160gb gard disk space, tho not too worried about that as will probably invest in external drive.

Is this good enough??

Thanks

Sounds ample - make sure there's a firewire port on it for the external drive tho(especially if you intend using multichannel audio interfaces, the concept of USB packet-handling isn't exactly conducive to intensive audio :rolleyes: ). Although, if you' ve the cash I'd nearly go for a Macbook - there is a reason why just about everyone uses them :D Also, make sure you STAY AWAY FROM VISTA. From a pro-audio point of view, its better off leaving it for another year or so until it stabilises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tango13

Those specs should be more than enough. My last laptop had a pentium 4 2.4gb processor with 256 mb of ram and I used virtual dj for gigs every weekend for 5 years, never once crashed but i always had a cd cued up just in case.
    My new laptop is a dell xps 1710, works fine now that VISTA is gone and XP is installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Or get one of these 00dj.jpg But only if you win the lotto! It'll cost you about 3.6K! Seriously I have a Dell Latitude C640, running XP Pro, 1Gb RAM, 1.7Ghz and a small 20Gb internal. Onto that I have a PCMIA card with 4 usb ports. Into that I have 2 external HDDs, one 300Gb and one 230Gb. The smaller one has all my music and karaoke tunes on it only. (about 22,000 songs and 12,000 karaoke tunes) Now bear in mind each karaoke song has 2 files, one for the words in CDG format and one for the music in MP3 format, all that takes up 115Gb so far. That's including the long mixes I have for letting me do breaks.

I use the external drive to just store my songs. I download/rip them on this lappy, sort the tags with ID3-Tagit, then connect the HDD to the 00DJ and transfer them over. I never connect the 00DJ to the net, as that's when you get all sorts of nasties like viri, spyware etc. Also I usually am loathed to play anything someone brings to a gig on a CD or MP3 player. I say can you 100% guarentee it is clean? Um no then I'm sorry I can't play it!

I use VDJ as I prefer the search to PCDJ, and have never had any problems unless I load a song longer than about 10mins. It starts skipping or freezing so I put them onto a DVD or CD and play them from a portable DVD player!

Hope this helps.

DJ Spider :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hitman07

if u are looking for karaoke stuff i can get u a harddrive with over 20000 karaoke songs on it. pm me for details

Advertisement