Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom POI's overwriting each other Nuvi 660

Options
  • 24-01-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

Hi I read through the sticky about downloading POI's onto my GPS unit. Went to POIhandler.com, read the manual, installed POIloader and downloaded the pubs and resturaunts files.

Installed the pubs and it worked fine, then installed the resturaunts and the pubs dissappeared?! :confused:

So I downloaded the supermarkets file to see if it wass a one-off but when I installed that the resturaunts dissappeared.

Very confused! Any help lads? Sorry if this has been covered but I had a look at the stickys and couldnt find what I was looking for.

Also is there any way to integrate the new POI's into the database, so that when I click food or lodging for instances all of the existing and new POI's come up on screen?

Sorry for the long post and cheers for advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You need to keep all your POI files together in one POI folder, since POI loader combines all the POI's in that folder together and copies them to the nuvi as one file which it overwrites each time. You can keep them in separate folders within the POI folder if you like to avoid clutter. This also adds a level of hierarchy to the POI's, so that Supermarkets will appear as a category, with Aldi, Lidl etc. underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers alun. While I'm at it, is it alrite to delete any of the language files on the unit itself. I only need the english voice and some of them seem to take up a fair bit of space?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Cheers alun. While I'm at it, is it alrite to delete any of the language files on the unit itself. I only need the english voice and some of them seem to take up a fair bit of space?
    I don't know, to be honest. I have a 8GB SD card in my nuvi 760, so I'm not exactly stuck for memory :)

You could try first copying them somewhere safe before deleting them, and copying them back again if it messes things up, I suppose.

By the way, some of those POI files on PIIhandler.com are pretty messed up. There's some speed camera alerts amongst the supermarkets, one called simply "city centre' (which city?!) and one called "[] []" .. I guess that's the trouble with user maintained POI's .. there's no-one to do any quality control on them.

Advertisement