Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another price check thread

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I realise these things vary from patient to patient, but I'd like to get an idea of whether I got a good quote.

I had a tooth root filled a couple of years ago, which didn't work so a crown was put in just over a year ago - this has just fallen out.

I went to a new dentist, and he said it would be €970 to root fill again (I still have an abscess after the initial treatment), and over the same amount to crown again. An implant would be €3000 to €3500 (or more again). Edit: Actually, I think it may have been 3K for a bridge, and more for an implant? Can't remember already...

I also asked about getting new veneers at some stage, and he told me I was looking at €1000 a tooth for porcelain ones. I was quoted about 670 per tooth by my old dentist, but don't know if that was for acrylic or porcelain.

I'd really appreciate if I could get an idea of whether these are the going rates? I've just started a new job with no parking, so it's very hard for me to take time off and visit many clinics to get other estimates.

thanks in advance,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

My mam was quoted €1000 per crown for some fancy procelain things. She was told they were the best things going so I'd say €1000 is the going rate (in Irleland).

GDM wrote: »
    My mam was quoted €1000 per crown for some fancy procelain things. She was told they were the best things going so I'd say €1000 is the going rate (in Irleland).

Thanks for that - the only thing that made me think twice was the quote of 970 for a root canal, which seems about 50% over the normal cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

eoin_s wrote: »
    Thanks for that - the only thing that made me think twice was the quote of 970 for a root canal, which seems about 50% over the normal cost.

check into going to Eastern europe or better still India to get this work done.

There are a couple of people i work with who have done this and they both paid a fraction of the price quoted in Ireland.

I also know someone who went up the north to get dental work done and they saved a lot too.

MrVostro wrote: »
    check into going to Eastern europe or better still India to get this work done.

There are a couple of people i work with who have done this and they both paid a fraction of the price quoted in Ireland.

I also know someone who went up the north to get dental work done and they saved a lot too.

I've been looking into that alright, but it looks like I'll need a dental implant at this stage, and I think I'd be more comfortable dealing with someone who is easily contactable and reachable if there are issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

eoin_s wrote: »
    I've been looking into that alright, but it looks like I'll need a dental implant at this stage, and I think I'd be more comfortable dealing with someone who is easily contactable and reachable if there are issues.

In that case try Newry or Belfast. I bet you will save 50%. And with the strength of the Euro against the pound right now, even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah try Newry if you want to be able to go back easily but tbh I would look into Berlin or Germany in general. Perhaps I'm being unfair but although Germany is more expensive than Hungary etc. I would feel 110% comfortable with a german dentist, and may not be as comfortable with one in Hungary etc.

In the UK they are doing the pre-consultation and follw up stuff in Britain, and sending you to eastern Europe for the really pricey procedure itself.

They do all your scans (I think it takes more than simple xrays to get accurate measurements for the screws) in Britain and the dentist in eastern europe is all ready to roll when you arrive.

This method is a very good compromise IMO if it is being done in Ireland at all.

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah try Newry if you want to be able to go back easily but tbh I would look into Berlin or Germany in general. Perhaps I'm being unfair but although Germany is more expensive than Hungary etc. I would feel 110% comfortable with a german dentist, and may not be as comfortable with one in Hungary etc.

In the UK they are doing the pre-consultation and follw up stuff in Britain, and sending you to eastern Europe for the really pricey procedure itself.

They do all your scans (I think it takes more than simple xrays to get accurate measurements for the screws) in Britain and the dentist in eastern europe is all ready to roll when you arrive.

This method is a very good compromise IMO if it is being done in Ireland at all.
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I've decided to get the implant done in Dublin, mainly because I need it done ASAP (apart from not looking nice, it's also prone to getting infected). But I will need another implant down the road and new veneers possibly, which I can take the time to research.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

anyone know how much for wisdom tooth extraction under local anesthetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I'd love to know the above aswell. I have an appointment for a consult next month that's costing 170. I'm on VHI - Plan B Excess, but does that cover something like this?

Thanks a million. PS it's probably going to be all 4 wisdom teeth being removed

• Advertisement

Wouldn't a local anaethestic extraction be covered by treatment benefit? Or does treatment benefit only apply to the other teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Dublin579 wrote: »
    I'd love to know the above aswell. I have an appointment for a consult next month that's costing 170. I'm on VHI - Plan B Excess, but does that cover something like this?

Thanks a million. PS it's probably going to be all 4 wisdom teeth being removed

Just to update the above, went to consultant there and have to get all 4 taken out. Good news is that I am covered under VHI Plan B Excess as it's considered a surgical operation, as opposed to a dental one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosie1981

Hi everyone,
    I wonder if I could get some feedback on price I got during consultation a few days ago. I went to a reputable clinic in Kildare, and was told I would need 4 veneers but that it would be very straightfoward to have this done. The price I was given was 550 euro for bleaching (1 hour in clinic) and then 5k for the veneers? This, to me seems a huge cost as I was expecting approx €800 - €1000 per porcelain veneer. Please if there are any dentists reading this I would really appreciate your opinion.

Hi Rosie 1981, I can't comment on anything but the veneers - I was quoted €1000 each for porcelain veneers, and my local dentist is NOT cheap. My previous dentist quoted 600 per veneer, but I don't know if that was for porcelain or acrylic(?) ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosie1981

Thanks eoin,
    it's so difficult to know. I don't mind paying the money if the work is good, but there's such a variance between many dentists. My friend got hers done in Galway for approx 600 per tooth and she says they're porcelain........

That sounds more reasonable. Like I said, my quote was for 1K per tooth, and this guys is very pricey. I only really went there because I needed some work done urgently, and he's across from my office. Sounds like you got an even worse price.

If you're in Kildare I'd recommend my dentist Dr. Tom O'Brien who works in the surgery of Dr. Yvonne Young in Newbridge. I've just come back from my final visit to have a crown fitted after root canal and all that.

Gold crown on molar with four root canals to be treated beforehand taking 4 visits cost 1400 and he is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 annmarie!"

im in my mid twenties and have mistreated my teeth in my teenage years, boy do i regret it now! about 3 years ago i visited a dentis in limerick but she treated me like a piece of crap i left the office feeling like dirt and cried over my treatment for many days even now it still bothers me im not a bad person and i certainly dont want to look like this anymore. im very embarassed about my teeth as they do need a lot of work but my problem is i cant face going to a dentist incase they treat me badly again. realistically i dont need a lecture i know the problem i know i was stupid but i want so badly to fix my teeth. i would love to find a dentist in munster area that will get on with the job in hand, tell me what he needs to tell me and let me get on with my life. please please can anyone help? i would appreciate any help

Advertisement