Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own (or are you planning to own) a HDTV?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I did a quick check and can't find a similar poll for a while, and I'm kind of curious if many people have bought HDTV's now. Options (for now) are:

YES - I have a 720p/720i capable HDTV
    YES - I have a 1080p/1080i capable HDTV
    NO - But I plan on buying one this year
    NO - And I don't intend to buy one this year

It's more about if people have something capable of watching stuff on a HDTV more than if they have a Blu-Ray player or SkyHD (for now).

I'm just really interested in a bit of a straw poll to see if people are buying them in reasonable numbers now or not.

Do you own (or are you planning to own) a HDTV? 52 votes

YES - I have a 720p/720i capable HDTV
    0% 0 votes
    YES - I have a 1080p/1080i capable HDTV
    25% 13 votes
    NO - But I plan on buying one this year
    61% 32 votes
    NO - And I don't intend to buy one this year
    13% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I think the options should be - do you have a 1080i/720p tv, do you have a 1080p tv. Rather than 720p or 1080i tv. If you have one you have the other! (99% of the time)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have three HDTV's, a 55" 1080P for night time, 42" 720p for daytime and 32" 720p for the bedroom with SkyHD to them all as well as upscaler divx/dvd players, you can't have enough tvs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I think the options should be - do you have a 1080i/720p tv, do you have a 1080p tv. Rather than 720p or 1080i tv. If you have one you have the other! (99% of the time)

i agree mine will do both 1080i/720p. not 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Polls broken. 720i isn't a display resolution, and all 720p (HD Ready) tv's can scale at 1080i.

I have a 1080p set, my third hdtv, and I'm only 19.

(Dunno if that's a good, or a bad thing) :D

NNNNUUUUURRRRDDDSSSSSA!!!!

I have two lcd tv's capable of 720p/1080i. I have a PS3 connected to one and just a regular dvd player on the other older one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A sweet 42" Panasonic 1080p plasma. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ah well, shows what I know I guess. :)

Still, it's close enough really if we're not going to be too exact.

Although I don't think it's going to be too representative of the genral populus, I think geeks are more likely to own a TV anyway, and now that I think about it, a thread titled "Do you own (or are you planning to own) a HDTV?" is more likely to attract the do's than it is the don'ts.

ah well, I guess I can't win either way.

P.S. @slave1, assuming you're behing honest about your telly'age, I don't suppose you're looking for a lodger are you? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sorry man, the geek comment ruined your chances :)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

ah well, I'll just keep cruising for rich old ladies then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have a 32" Sammy and a Sanyo z3, both 720p

• Advertisement

well so far, it's looking overwhelmingly like people are having at least 1 HDTV in the house these days, but I'm sure internet users would be more tech savvy than the average joe (that's a complement btw) ;) so I don't know if it's totally representative of the whole country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

well so far, it's looking overwhelmingly like people are having at least 1 HDTV in the house these days, but I'm sure internet users would be more tech savvy than the average joe (that's a complement btw) so I don't know if it's totally representative of the whole country.

Well , I think it is representative of the whole country , the reason being , if you are in the market for a new TV , then its going to be a HDTV , whether you want one or not , that is pretty much all there is to get !! You'd have to look long and hard for a non HDTV in the shops at the moment.

i suppose that's true, but how often do people buy a new TV? I think a lot of people will stick with what they have till it dies and then upgrade to something new, which as you rightly say at this stage is either going to be a HDTV or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

40" Sony 2500 and a 32" Samsung - They're both great!

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A 32" LCD, our main is a 1080p projector though. Planning on upgrading the telly sometime this year. Not sure yet if we'll end up selling the 32" or put it in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

32" LG and 19" samsung- both excellent.I totally agree with slave1.You can never have enough tvs.I wanna 52" sony X3500 and i wannit NOW.Too bad its circa 5G......

Advertisement