Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helifix ties

Options
  • 24-01-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

They look nice and simple, has anyone any experience of using them and are they available here?
    Just add .com to see them.
    I have to rebuild two supporting piers made of 215 cavities with rebar inserted verticialy and tie them into the new 215 solid block wall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

They are a type of re- bar?

Ive never seen them in my time.

I must be getting old :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

OP- You Need A Structural Engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.helifix.co.uk/
    They are wall ties.
    They look like rebar, sort-of. But they are much smaller
    They also come in large rebar sized pieces for repair to lintels.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Found a stockist in Nass. They say their best used for remedial work and tying into old brick so I'll use them where the old and new meet and to repair the crasks in the old section.

I'm not sure what exactly you are doing. Replacing piers in what exactly. Sound like an engineer is needed.

• Advertisement

Mellor, My engineer done the sketches for the small extension/replacement.
    Either side of the double doors there are piers to support the 2.7m lintol.
    He wouldn't allow me to build it and he recommended a builder. They built it the wrong size so when I took the piers down they were not doweled to the founds. as the engineer had specified. I didnt take down the two walls they are butting at right angles so I have to tie the piers into these walls.
    Any way the helibar is coming today and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Right, now I get you. I thought it was all new build.
    Best of luck, and sure keep us informed here how it works out.

They are spiral not helix, a cross between a tie and a rebar. I presume the idea is to spread the strain along the joint bed, there easy to work with.
    Hope no welders are looking at the photo.

Advertisement