Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When I come off JSA and am newly employed, will.....

Options
  • 24-01-2008 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

my new employer be able to tell that I have been on JSA?

I have been unemployed for the past 8 months (first time in 4 years since graduating).

Now I have been accepted for a new job and as I will hand in my p45, will my new employer be able to tell that I have been receiving state benefits / JSA?

I dont really want my employer to know I have been receiving benefits, not because I have lied about anything but because I dont want to make it look like as if I havent worked out of lazyness, I have been off work for family commitments (wife is doing phd so I decided to be a house husband until she finishes, we also have kids under the age of 3).

I was advised not to tell the employer that I decided to become a house husband for this time by a credible person whom I trust for information, especially because of the industry I am joining.

Can anyone answer the above question?

If so, I would be very grateful for your time and help.

Thank you, kind regards,

Steve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

He could find out if:
    • he queries what you were doing since the cease date on the P45 from your last job
    • your Social Welfare office requests a letter from him stating that you've started work
    • he sees your received Unemployment contributions listed on a future tax form

If he does find out you could always say that you were working part-time somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Steve Flerdrin

Thank you.

Ahhhh no, so that means Im stuffed then?
    • he queries what you were doing since the cease date on the P45 from your last job
    Is this most likely to happen? I understand they will do background checks and Im fine on that part, I will pass everything. With my professional history and companies I have worked for (financial) along with a good degree from a good uni, good a levels etc, would they still be more inclined to do this or would they just not bother since my background checks would be sound and my past experiences have been more than satisfactory?
    • your Social Welfare office requests a letter from him stating that you've started work
    What if I come off benefits and say that I dont wish to receive benefits anymore, not because I have a new job but because I just dont want to receive them anymore for whatever reason. Am I able to do that and could this come back on me? Will the matter end there when I just say no more to benefits for my own personal reason?
    • he sees your received Unemployment contributions listed on a future tax form.
    With this point, I guess they will end up knowing Ive been on benefits anyway? Is that correct, they may not know now with recent paycheck but when they do a tax form at april, they will know I have received JSA contributed support.

Nolanger, thank you very much for your help and time, I really appreciate that. If possible, could you also reply to the questions I asked in this post?

I cant say Ive been working part time elsewhere as that would be lying on the CV and I dont want to risk the fact that they will found this out.

Im quite worried especially as this job is a really good opportunity for me. The reason I dont want them to know Ive been on benefits is because in the industry I will be working in (finance, investment), being off work unless of emergency is absolutely frowned upon, especially as it was for 8 months. 2 months I could have got away with but not longer.

This is so frustrating, I knew this would happen when I left my previous job but I really wanted to support my wife in her development.

thanks again Nolanger and I hope you can help me just that bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The Dept of Social Welfare don't ask from a letter from an employer if you've started full time work - why would they need to? All they need to know is the date you found work and then you are signed off the register.

Thanks for that. Okay , lets cut that question out now :D.

any help on the others please?

I was never asked what i was doing between jobs.
    As far as i know the unemployment credits show up on the P60 but ask your tax office to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I dont really want my employer to know I have been receiving benefits, not because I have lied about anything but because I dont want to make it look like as if I havent worked out of lazyness, I have been off work for family commitments (wife is doing phd so I decided to be a house husband until she finishes, we also have kids under the age of 3).

I'm glad things worked out for you Steve and what you posted is a valid reason to take a break from work

But isn't the point of JSA that you are searching for new employment and you obviously didn't do this and had no intention of doing this until your wife finishes her Phd.

I'm not passing judgement here but wouldn't that be fraud?
    Otherwise every housewife or house husband in the State could be claiming JSA.

Thanks micmclo.

Yeah it does look funny.

Well, in all honesty, I was still looking for work during this time, as soon as I started to receive it, I was looking for employment as well through different avenues.

Let me clear this up, I was looking for work whilst on JSA :o and my plan was that if the right opportunity came, I would have taken it but it didnt :rolleyes:
    hmmm, take that as you will ;):p

Anyway, when you pay back jsa contributions from your new job, will it show up in your pay check as seperate payment i.e. tax, ni, or will the payment just be added on top of the orginal amount for tax and ni?

How do you mean pay back JSA contributions?

Well, when I start working again, wont inland revenue deduct extra payments from my wage to pay back my JSA contributions which were paid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No.

JSA is covered by your prsi payments and you claim against them.
    Now what you are back in work you will be paying prsi again they are you insurance for if you become sick or unemployed.

• Advertisement

Whoa, so does that mean Im in the clear then?

As in, an employer wouldnt tell if Ive claimed contribution based JSA through my deductions on my wage slip or through a tax form?????? :eek:

Please tell me so I can either keep this big smile on my face :D or wipe it off! :(

Edit: Found out they wont

One more question, with my new employee, would be be okay to give them my P45 from an older job since it is still within this tax year or would they need something else?

Also, would the accounts team tell the HR about my financial details or would they not bother?
    Thanks everyone.

bump

Advertisement