Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes sampling rate

Options
  • 23-01-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I imported some albums into iTunes for the first time and used 44khz as the sample rate. I was wondering if I would notice a difference (if even small) by changing up to 48khz for the remainder ??

I'm not stuck for space so the size of the files won't matter.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

unless the source is 48khz there will be no change other than adding redundant info, increasing filesize for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mactard wrote: »
    unless the source is 48khz there will be no change other than adding redundant info, increasing filesize for no reason.

How would i know if it is or not ? just using normal cd's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Standard Red Book CD Audio is recorded at 44,100Hz 16 Bit.

ZEN

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

KTRIC wrote: »
    How would i know if it is or not ? just using normal cd's

CD's are recorded @ 44.1 kHz, 48kHz is one of the DVD audio variations

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

what you should really be looking at is the Encoding Bitrate, ie. 128kbps/160kbps/192kbps, etc. I think the default is usually 128kbps. I encode my songs using Exact Audio Copy/LAME 3.96 at 192VBR (Variable Bit Rate).

I definitely notice the difference. I've a handful of songs at 128 kbps that I downloaded years ago, and I usually have to skip them when them come on. And I'm usually saying to myself "I have to download better quality version of that!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mactard wrote: »
    CD's are recorded @ 44.1 kHz, 48kHz is one of the DVD audio variations

Question answered , thanks Mactard ;)

Advertisement